Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

new capital

Not applicable
I have just sold a property and the return is about R900000.My question to all u clever guys is where to invest it.I do not trust the stock market just know as i feel it is due for a correction or even a big fall in the longer term.i therefore would like to gradualy fase it in.Where do i then park the money short to medium term for a save investment with best return.
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
Rams
Super Contributor
You can park it MY bank account!Why not invest in another property,it seems you have done well with this one.
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
Talk is that the Rand is 20% overvalued, maybe consider sending some offshore and investing in blue chips there once you feel it is safe to enter the markets again.....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
everybody expounding theories about Rand crashes, market crashes etc .. got any hard evidence ??
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
Speculation, the rands as strong as it should be, there is a massive appetite internationally for emerging market exposure and we're pegged as one of the least risky ones to go to. A succesful world cup probably also helped to stoke this view. Problem is, its a very unstable position, the elastic is stretched. On that note, if you just leave it in your trading account you'll beat year on year inflation as it stands at the moment, thereby earning a real return, safes short term option in my book, but thats if your short term = my short term.
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
don't profess to know where the rand will be next year or even tomorrow, but geographical diversification is never a bad thing....
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
NEVER TRUST WHAT YOU "FEEL" ABOUT THE MARKET. Everybody "feels" something. The problem is we all tend to feel the same thing; which negates the perceived advantage. Buy stocks at valuations that are compelling. There is plenty of value in the market - just not so much in the "hot" stocks. As with the 3 rules of property (sic. location, location,location,) buy quality!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
whats your time horizon? i would invest R75k per month for the next 12 months. each month put R15k into 5 blue chip multinationals listed on the jse (BAT,SAB etc) with good emerging market exposure (i also like mtn, bidvest and billiton) which also pay decent divs. this phasing in should be more adavantageous if you fear the risk of a correction from current levels.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Trust your instinct. Get seeds, water, fert, ammo, toilet paper, soap, tinned stuff, etc.
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
Mr Roffey reckons you must put it all into DRD....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Go to repo auctions and make more money from property. Even in Zim today house prices are rising.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure .. but one can do that via the JSE ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Do not want to buy property again.To much problems with tennants.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for all the comments.I think my plan as follows.Daugter just bought a new house.Change her bond account to a revest account.Borrow the money to her at 7.7%(same as she is paying the bank).Take the interest monthly and invest in stocks.Every time there is a big correction buy stocks for about R50000.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Awesome idea. Except I'd probably split the interest difference with my daughter ;)
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
I wouldnt go back into property yet. I dont see the rand crashing but Id hedge my bets. Gets SARS clearance and move some offshore. Internaxx allow you to buy equities on many other exchanges. If you like mining copanies like myself you get exposure to the TSX in canada where a lot of the junior miners are (although junior miners come with risk). Id advise some precious metals as an inflationary hedge too. Given the money printing by all central banks you wont go wrong in the long term. As far as local equities go I feel they are overpriced (in fact most world markets are) so I would hold some cash and wait for a pullback.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Whatch out for tax implications here - if SARS gets wind of it, you could end up with a fairly *****py investment. As for how to invest the 900k, this is where value investing steps up to the forefront - because a value investor first and foremost looks after capital preservation. Momentum based, buy the winner strategies requires a phased in approach, IMO, but value or contrarian approaches, look to minimize the downside risk - both through diversification (although Buffet argues against too much diversification) as well as through careful share selection. As a share tip, check out hte life insurers. Big dividends, healthy cash, stable businesses and all on relatively low PE's
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What about an allan gray stable fund unit trust - you can invest directly with them so no broker fees and then your got a nice investment in money markets, bonds, property, commodities, Equities as well as Hedged Equities... hassle free
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Lol - the end of the world is comming!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Just buy Gold and Silver Bars.Pack them away,safe.Get a Landrover. Go Fishing till Gold hits $4000 and Silver $100.then Sell everything.Simple stuff.You're in the country where the currency is going to get hammered sooner or later. And I mean...H-A-M-M-E-R-E-D ! The more it gets nailed, the more Rands you make.And there you go.These mkts are for Pro Traders only. Why ? Broken System.now entering the wildness of a Hyperinflationary environment.You want to play there ? NO...you don't.Just buy Gold and Silver bars.Cheers.
0 Kudos