Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

please some clarity as to what defines a reccession?

Not applicable
i was`under the impression if the share price drops 20% it is a reccession any other data will be appreciated
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AJDK
Frequent Contributor
Quoting Wikipedia: Hope this helps In macroeconomics, a recession is a decline in a country's gross domestic product (GDP), or negative real economic growth, for two or more successive quarters of a year. An alternative, less accepted definition of recession is a downward trend in the rate of actual GDP growth as promoted by the business-cycle dating committee of the National Bureau of Economic Research.[1] That private organization defines a recession more ambiguously as "a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months." A recession may involve simultaneous declines in coincident measures of overall economic activity such as employment, investment, and corporate profits. Recessions may be associated with falling prices (deflation), or, alternatively, sharply rising prices (inflation) in a process known as stagflation. A severe or long recession is referred to as an economic depression. A devastating breakdown of an economy (essentially, a severe depression, or a hyperinflation, depending on the circumstances) is called economic collapse. Newspaper columnist Sidney J. Harris distinguished terms this way: "a recession is when your neighbor loses his job; a depression is when you lose your job."
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Data from various sector is obtained and analysed. Whilst i do not support this theory due to current economic climate ,high petrol price, msot market analyst will use this data to introduce fear to the rest of the world. My question...Do not be surprise if the USA will anlayse the current weather pattern and this introduce this as part of their so called recession.. Fact of the matter Opec has got the market by the bull b@ll and maybe this could be a wake up call for this monkey to do something cos a recession will hurt them also.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
20% drop in share price over a 6-18 month period is broadly considered as indicating a bear market, a recession is a when the economy declines instead of growing. Usually dropping interest rates would make more money available to consumers which would lead to growth in the economy, but leads to risks to inflation. Inflation drives up prices and reduces the available money for consumers, which threatens economic growth. The balance is very delicate. IMO the US has tipped the scale and a recession is now unavoidable.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
What I learned of the whole recession thing is that the moment everyone shouts recession loudest a rally is sure to follow. Once I hear words like stocks set to rally on this or that get out of whatever.
0 Kudos