Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

refugee fracas could spill over to civil war and regional instability

Not applicable
When Zulus are being kicked out of University of Limpopo, when foreigners are getting ammunition to protect themselves, when Pakistani and Indian shops are being looted.... i think we should all be concerned. What is the difference between a Zulu and a Zimbabwean of Ndebele origin, they look alike, speak alike, have the same surnames. Who is to tell the difference between a Sotho from Lesotho, a Sotho from Free State, a Tswana from Rustenburg and a Tswana from Botswana, a Swazi from Mpumalanga and a Swazi from Swaziland. I think we as South Africans are still myopic in our thinking in terms of what constitutes our nationality esp in context of our being impacted by colonialism and apartheid. This is only the beginning. Worse is still to come. When the Zulu start to feel obliged to carry out reprisals, what will stop the other groups. I come with no solutions, but my gut is sensing the beginning of an ethnic cleansing of massive proportions, this is a textbook case of regional instability spillover. SA cannot be an island of peace in a sea of instability, poverty and strife. I am very concerned.
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
Wizard
Super Contributor
We all know that, let the world cup finish first. Europe will go to East Europe to make them what they are. Africa will come to SA to make us what they are!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
We don't discuss politics on this forum - we prefer to exist in our own make believe cocoons. We keep our discourse light and fluffy and ignore the evil world out there - until, of course, it bites us in our collective backsides - but until then, all is bliss. Beware of the smug cretins lurking on this website who become extremely annoyed when disturbed!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
instability, no trading, no JSE, SA= Zimbabwe, $1=R1 000 000K; i think it does affect us.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
18 wheeler is coming your way Topgun (lol)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes, hott 1, Unfortunately you've hit it on the head;All those orphaned street kids are growing up unloved, without family values, the LUCKY ones in welfare institutions!Soon they'll be a mob of uncouth,uncontrollable, thugs without any sense of compassion or decency,why should they have?Historically, Africa does not understand Democracy:dissagreements are only solved with violence; see; DRC, Kenya, Libya, Angola, and on and on.The whites that left Zim early in the "Chicken Run" were the clever ones!My suggestion is that you trade/invest only in stocks with a strong randhedge component and try to invest as much offshore as poss.(altho' that's a tough call when offshore interest rates are so low.)
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
topgun, while you perfectly embody it, I have copyright on the word cretin on this forum. And, if you were me, you would be smug too.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Somehow sensing danger, Brazen would test the water to establish a cretin count
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Bwhahahahaha! I can just see the Larson illustration to go with that caption.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Think of all the stocks one could short.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I agree with the substance of this article. Excellent Topgun.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Yeah, a good article and a sad indictment of Mbeki governance. And now with oil hitting 129, and bad inflation stats, we're looking at really tough economic conditions which will exacerbate all those issues.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
and to top it all, the Mbeki (mal)administration issued a directive to refuel the Chinese arms ship via the SAS Drakensberg, which ammunition have subsequently been delivered to our friendly neighbourhood uncle to ensure a peaceful run-off election....wonder how big the eventual body count will be?
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Hott 1, a good and very relevant topic you started; well done, since we need to be aware of our environment within which we attempt to make money. Topgun, jy is 'n doring! lekker man!
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Dankie Skala for the compliment.I really appreciate it.
0 Kudos
INTTHEMONEY
Contributor
But what about the World Cup in 2010. Will we chase away England and Brazil and Germany and Italy and then it will be a SA vs Swaziland in the final and who knows maybe we will win the world cup of soccer as well Although against Swaziland methinks a draw 0-0
0 Kudos