Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

saving?

Not applicable
My boyfriend and I are trying to save for our wedding.He thinks we should buy SATRIX shares to help our savings 'grow'. I prefer a Money Market account. Shouldnt you buy shares with money that you "wont mind losing"? I have seen the share price falling as well and dont think its a good time to buy anyway - am I being pessemistic?
0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
Not applicable
Simon says?
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
What is your timeframe? And are you just looking at putting in a lumpsum once off, or are you going to invest regularly in it over a period of time?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Iam sure this money is of sentimental value to you. Speak to a broker/financial advisor an iam sure someone can assist. Please save wisely as i have learnt a lesson like this before. I blew away my money i was gonna pay my sisters college fees. Dont learn the hard way. Rather b happy!!!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
if you can't afford to see the money decrease in size - put it in the bank.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
You know there are professional bodies that offer help for gambling addiction!
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon,can we please ban Mkadir!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Preston buddy. Iam very sorry that u have lost alot of money. Have u ever heard of KARMA??? Dont curse others, it will come nack to you. Stop fighting with the world!!!
0 Kudos
Hedgehog
Frequent Contributor
Hi Goliwog Put you money in the bank otherwise you may have a divorce before you get married. If you want to get rich over the long term invest in rent to buy property. If you need an adrenaline rush buy warrants and if you buy Satrix get advice first and try and understand the stock market.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Mkadir, at least i can still afford to SMILE :-)
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Don't waste money on a wedding. Have a nice meal at Spur and invest the money you would have spent feeding greedy, ungrateful relatives in Satrix.
0 Kudos
Project_Directo
Super Contributor
all Goliwogs put their cash into Robertsons Jam, now we`ll find out who knows what around here,lol
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Hi, dear: you go with the cash investment, let hom go with Satrix. At least you'll have something to excite you as you go along. Then in the end, you take yours and he takes his and each go their own direction.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
We would invest what we have so far and periodically buy more. Basically want to get married next year
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Goliwog, on a seriously note , please do not do that. The JSE will by no means finance your wedding expenditure. To think this , is pure stupidity. Rather keep cash and as and when you complete the item on the wedding list , you pay cash. Believe me when i say planning a wedding is extremely expensive,you do not need additional stress.
0 Kudos
jamoo
Frequent Contributor
wrong time to enter the market. put all in money market, then consult a financial planner later.
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
TO PROJECT DIRECTER.....I remember Ted heath threatening Idi Amin with that out come ...After Idi said he would remove the queens head from their stamps..Ted retorted and we will remove yours from our jam.
0 Kudos
MichaelR
Regular Contributor
Hi Golliwog put your money with Money market Standard Bank. Are you in love?
0 Kudos
JDT
Regular Contributor
I would suggest giving the onion rings a miss for the specific evening.
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
Maybe look at a Jozi bond or retail note if have perid for about a year should perform slightly better than just plain cash.One yaer holding period on stx40,and not willing gto loose capital =risky choice,but could pay off.
0 Kudos