Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

short selling uptick rule

Not applicable
Hi guys, I am trying to make sense of this rule that is being reconsidered in the us. Apparantly it is designed to combat the so called bear raid. How is it theoretically possible for a short seller to actually cause the market to drop? Profit yes, but that is capitalizing on effect, not actually causing the drop. How will an uptick rule help? Original article on http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=ay1xaOFH3ZoE&refer=home
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the uptick rule is rubbish .. it was inroduced way way back as it was blamed for crasghing stcks .. but nobody minds when stocks are driven stupidly high, only on the downside .. and it is very very unlikely to be canned ..
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
If you go short, you undertake to sell (and do sell) stocks into the market. More sellers --> price down. That's how I see it. In his legendary trade, Soros got together with some other hedge fund managers and shorted the Pound (sold POUNDS) to the tune of 10 Billion US and the price accordingly went down, to put it mildly. But for f&*cksake!! Talk about rich.... "New York-based banks Citigroup Inc. and Morgan Stanley.... have blamed abusive short selling for exacerbating losses last year." Maybe they meant naked shorts, but even then I think they should rather keep their mouths firmly shut!
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Simon. One bit of useless information I wondered about: Why when I sell a future's contract for 100 shares, does the trade which goes through comprise 103 or 104 shares?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sort-sellers do not drive the market further down than it would otherwise go - but they do speed up the response of the markets to events, by trading faster than many other participants. The uptick rules says that you may only enter a short position if your sale occurs at a price higher than the ruling price by a certain threshold. The stated intention is that it stops a horde of short-sellers from climbing in in an instant and causing a one-way drop in the price, without any upticks. The research that they did before abolishing the rule previously, was that it was ineffective, and in fact increases volatility by removing liquidity from the market. No-one has claimed to refute this research, so there can be no reasonable basis for re-instating the rule. As a conspiracy theorist, I believe that the discussions regarding reinstating the rule might be an attempt to trigger / prolong a short squeeze for profit. The short-sellers are also a politically-convenient scapegoat - no-one likes those who profit from others' misfortune, so lets create the impression that it's them who brought down the financial system. (And we hope that no-one notices the regulatory failures...)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes, when you sell, you cause downward pressure, but when you close out your position (buy), you cause upward pressure on the price. So you have only cause a temporary depression in the price. And most short-sellers don't hold for very long, so the effect is limited.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
For another article that shows how shorts get blamed for the world's woes, and makes some good points about what else might be wrong, see http://biz.yahoo.com/etfguide/090303/192_id.html?&.pf=retirement
0 Kudos