Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

shorting the market

Not applicable
If the market go down in the coming week(s)which share would u say would be the best short and why??
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
surely just short the market ?? ALSi futures, SSF or CCFD or warrant on the Top40/STX40 ..
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
The reserve bank will have to prevent the rand from strenthing further, therefore they most likely will decrease the interest rate in November. This will decrease the yield that foreigners are currently ENJOYING, which in turn will lead to a sell off in equities. Shorting the market could be a good idea....
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
Look at the retailers..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
except every time the MPC has announced a rate cut, while the good gov was talking the rand strengthened .. JPN and US are on 0%, so whatever rate we have is sttractive ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Government trying to interfere with currency markets have only left one result, poorer governments (and tax payers). Every time JPN tries to weaken the yen the market just corrects to the natural supply and demand cycle. As Simon says even at 1% SA will still be better than almost anywhere else so weaker currency aint gonna happen soon. SA is mostly a commodities based economy so the longer the commodities run the stronger the third world economies like SA will benefit. Right now the market is up so play the up trend. When it turns short it.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
and the key driver of strong currencies around the globe right now is actually a weak $ .. and cosidering helicopter ben has doubled the amount of $ in circulation since he came into office, that is of zero surprise ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yep, I think we should start getting used to R6 to the dollar. Which doesn't rule (what is the opposite word again? s*$* something?) mostly because I have embarked on a project where all my earnings is in good ol USD. i need a real Euro crisis again please!!! Maybe them pesky Greeks can default or something
0 Kudos
leminus2
Regular Contributor
Yep. Any old crisis will do.... :)
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
why aren't people buying this high? seems like it's taking forever to get through ~26730 on the ALSI...
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
The US$ is dying, so their market is going up and we're all following blindly. That's how they saved themselves after the crash. But it'll hurt the Euro exporters, so look for major trouble in the next 6 months. China as well - depending on how the currency fight goes. So while I expect some market juicing in the short term due to major inflation worries, I see it affecting Europe badly - just in time for a PIIG party at the end of the year. So China and Europe exporting less...can't be happy. And we deal with them a lot.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
(Er...although it might be better to listen to someone who is nailing the market to the wall. I'm not :)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Resi 20. Angloplat, Implats & Telkom. Weakest stocks on a 3 month basis.
0 Kudos