Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

surely this cant be legal?

Not applicable
someday they are gonna ban this practice....gap closes are just criminal!
0 Kudos
32 REPLIES 32
Not applicable
Why are you complaining?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ok Chartist, gap closed, what are we waiting for now to go long? or am I wrong?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Why the sudden rally?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Chartist, what is the theory behind gaps closing? And what time frames are you talking about?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
timeframes...we are talking minute rather than hours..yesterday was a few min...this morning a bit longer...but I have seen 200pts in matter of seconds...(see the gap close video).....there are afew theories...one is a self fulfilling prophecy...everyone looking at the same gap expecting the same thing and acting in unison...(thats why I say u gotta believe...its partly a joke but partly illustrates the phenomenon)...so heres how I think it works...so for argument sake u are long overnight...u check your position in the morning...Wow...bloody marvelous...U were long and u are in profit...for every one that was long there is also someone who is about to take the toaster to the bathroom with him...before he does that he buys (covers his short) ...he the buggers off and attempts a parasuicide...so now the market rallies a little and mr Smarty pants long thinks this is bloody marvelous...maybe he even buys more...but people like me have seen this before so we decide to lock in some profits or we sell in anticipation of the gap close...Mr smarty pants now sees his nice easy overnight profit evaporate so he also sells ...usually as he starts losing money (which equates with the original open price)...so we drift lower....meanwhile the parasuicide was just that...luckily no paramedics were needed to be called ...so he gets back to his screen...what the ^%$$*(&!..I just sold a while ago and now we are moving lower!! thats not fair...Ill have to sell as well maybe I can recover some of my ZZZZ losses....hope it helps....
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
C, Have to say, Many thanks for the GAP-strategy, its really added some decent options to my trading. See how the first try to close the gap coincided with a real contraction of the bollingers. It just added to the move, and the move was completely against all other indicators and if not for the gap u would never have gone long around there. Yet I did and am done for the day barring something interesting materialising....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks Chartist, one last thing. The gap we had on the 17th, you said if we were to short it, we would wait for a trade below opening price, ie gap would already be closed and then we would go ahead and short, let the market tell us where it is going. So did i understand correctly that we wait for the gap to either close and then short or break a point and then go long, or do we trade while the gap is still open and hope that it closes? Thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable
great...nice when u can be done and dusted in an hour.....entered trade at 10.30 and out by 11.30..u know some people make a good living just off trading gaps? glad we have another believer....maybe u will even become a disciple like John...at least u seem easier to convert....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
there was no gap on 17th...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks Chartist, this helps alot.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
quite simply there was no signal to enter the gap on the 16th...we had a closing tick below the open of 18800..on the 19th we gapped up...we traded below the open of 19100...u go short....later we traded below the open of 16th u go short...closed two gaps in one day...very very simple....prob is u gotta wait for the signal...cause otherwise....nuff said
0 Kudos
Not applicable
that should read we had NO closing tick...
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
yes thx chartist for that explanation. So in reverse eg. Today, we gapped down but did trade above yesterdays close. So how does one analize it this way. Do you wait for closer to the end of day to get a signal? thx
0 Kudos
Not applicable
No No...we gapped down and we traded above todays close...that was your signal...not a huge gap but an obvious one
0 Kudos
Amar
Contributor
You do mean above todays open...not close
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes..apologies...being distracted by the poolboy here...gorgeous day in CT,,,
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Yea im sure he means today's open. Ok i understand that part.What about the fact that we traded above yesterdays close. Does that ahve any relevance for gap trading?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos