Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

there is something worse than losses

Not applicable
Missing out, thats what. Today has to be my most frustrating day ever. Trying to pre-empt the market is the biggest mistake we can make. firstly, I missed this mornings rally (ok, my system didn't pick up the opp), then I thought I would get clever and give myself some protection with an early short prior to the jobless report, thinking the market would tank on the premarket action. Thank god I got stopped out because that was the most sudden rally I have ever seen - 100 points in 1 minute). Then in frustration, I switched off, and missed the real action, when the dow opened. So now I am R1k poorer, and could have pocketed a nice tidy sum - this despite that hte market actually did what I initially tried to pre-empt!! Thought I whould share this with everyone - in case anyone wants to jot down a couple of golden rules.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
We feel your pain. The hardest thing to exercise is displine - waiting for the trade to come to you when the time is right (and not force/chase it). Luckily you only lost R1k which is relatively negligible (if it were R100k we would really feel for you!). Monday is another day... Dow tanking nicely now.
0 Kudos
Sugar_Snap
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
That the yanks stocks are dropping rather quickly
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Let that R1k be schoolfees for trying to predict a trend before it is confirmed, and the R1k will be R1k well spent. Consider yourself lucky for just losing R1k. Dow Tanking means the Dow Jones is going down bigtime.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
How do you all know what R1000 means to Skaaptjop?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
You have learnt something very important about your trading mind set.. So thats great. Now design a system that automates things..and you will choose to take the trades and loose a bit rather than miss out.. thats great.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yep, all sobering thoughts, and lessons well learn't, I hope. And Russ, to answer your questions, if someone in this business loses sleep over a R1k loss, then he or she really should get out. R1k is my bare minimum stop loss amount. What I am losing sleep over, is a stupid trade and a massive opportunity cost!!
0 Kudos
JDT
Regular Contributor
There are loads of opportunities in the market - don't sweat the small stuff.
0 Kudos