Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Internet Banking ask for pin

10 REPLIES 10
FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @corleone.

Thank you for reaching out and letting us know about your experience with us.

This is not up to our standard, and we would like to have further discussions regarding this.

Please email us your concerns at [email protected].

We look forward to your email and further engagement regarding this.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

corleone

Totally unacceptable that you have to give your card number and pin.It places you at risk and PINS are personal and private they can be hacked.

Standard bank you are going to lose customers double quick time for your ignorance and total lack of proper safe service,

Hasta la vista

BCit
Occasional Visitor
Iam having the same issue, I will try this method. I just downloaded the phone app thinking this would resolve the issue, sadly no.
Maybe a developer has added this feature? Someone is clearly trying to scan us the clients.
There is a lovely IT article I read years ago that keeps me focused on client service as an IT professional titled:
'If you don't look after your Clients someone else will'

62thaboz

I have had the same arrogant treatment from Standard Bank from their call centre and from a physical visit to a branch. Standard constantly prmoises NEVER to ask for our ATM pin numbers yet in order to access your internet banking they force you t oreveat your ATM pin. How can you trust a bank that goes against its own security procedures? Suggest you move to another bank, one that does not treat its customers in such a cavalier manner.

PS Its seem ABSA have the same procedure of asking customers t oreveal their ATM pin numbers in order to regsiter for internet banking!

Dallie

I have received no help from Standardbank call centre at all.  This is totally unacceptable.  There was no communication from Standardbank about this.

This does not make me feel safe or protected at all

I have accounts to pay and I am definitely NOT going to give all the pc hackers access to my account by literally handing them my pin on a silver platter. Something Standardbank promise they will never ask for.  Do I change Banks?

Ben13
Occasional Contributor

Yes I did - when queried through their Prestige client centre I got the mealy-mouthed reply in quotations below.  What I understand is that Standard Bank must want to track your activity through cookies or something - as I cannot fathom why this would change now.

“The system is working as intended and is not based on a specific client only.  The client, as with many clients, are constantly stepped up due to the configuration on their system not being properly configured to accept the Card Pin Validation and is therefore required to enter the Card and Pin as a security measure.

Kindly refer to the attached Card and PIN guide to assist in resolving these matters.

A new development shows that clients are using the browsers in incognito\private mode which will cause the card pin validation to persist.

The  below setting works like a bomb for the card and pin issue on IB:

• Launch the web browser
  • Click on the three dots on the top right of the page to navigate to settings
  • Click on Security and Privacy on the left menu
  • Click on ‘Cookies and other site data’
  • Scroll down to ‘sites that can always use cookies’
  • Click on add and type the following: [*.]standardbank.co.za
  • Once added, then the system will start to trust the device”

Am still really unimpressed with Standard Banks services - especially their Prestige Centre - which really must be a euphamism for that good ol "you've won 2nd prize" sort of scam.

Marius_Mostert

Did you get an answer from standard bank if this legit?

ChantalH444
Occasional Visitor

I had the exact same issue. Logged in, it asked for my password, then an OTP. Then it asked me to verify any of my bank cards and enter my pin. I did not trust this and so I did not do it. I tried again, same issue. Then it was confirmed to me by the bank that this was a new security feature. After a week I eventually entered a card number and pin and a day or two later, I got a fraudulent transaction on my account, two actually. The transaction was also linked to the card that I verified. Today, I wanted to login again and it is asking me to do the same procedure Smiley Frustrated I won't do it.

Ben13
Occasional Contributor

I have the same issue - when I got the initial instruction to enter my ATM pin, I didnt trust it, and went down to my local branch to enquire.  Even the branch people didnt know about it.  What makes this really irritating, is I have to do this every time I want to login in to my Online Banking!   The Standard Bank call centre is properly useless, and cannot help or provide a real answer, other than some generic waffle about their IT Department installing new safety features.  This does not appear to be an "across the board" safety measure, as no one I know here locally has to do this.

Erika200
Yesterday on Internet Banking I wanted to pay a beneficiary. It asked for OTP which I entered. Then suddenly it went to a verification screen asking to provide any of my card numbers and the ATM pin. Why is this as the Bank always says it will never ask for your pin. I am now to scared to proceed as what if this is a scam. Can someone share some light please? I phoned the Bank and the call centre agent said I must provide the info. Why? He couldn’t explain why