Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Using Debit card for online shopping

Solved
BobbyJ
New Contributor

opening an ABSA account tomorrow, they're not serious in this bank. apparently to get the cheque card, you need to open a cheque account(for salaries > R5k) ||  (student cheque account if you're less than 23). so if  you're above 23 with no reasonable salary. welp

BobbyJ
New Contributor

This is questionable bank services. I have an Access acount and the only way i can pay online is via EFT (Only very little online merchants provide that option). I can't use my card details to make purchases. what do I need to do?

mchand
Solution
Occasional Contributor
Hi guy
To everyone looking this up Standard Bank simply has the worst customer service ever. As you can see I posted this ages ago and it's still a problem for people. With Student achiever you CAN purchase online all you need to do is get a cheque card. It's free and the only reason they don't give it to you when you sign up is because it takes 7 days to emboss the name in. You may ask why other banks don't have this problem or why didn't the community managers above point this out or anyone tell us when we signed up or why didn't they contact us to tell us to pick it up or why didn't they just mail it and I honestly don't know. All I know is you need to go to the bank, tell them you want a cheque card and they'll give it to you after a week and you can use online shopping. This should be marked as the solution not the useless advice given above
NosiphoM
Which card yu mst basically have in order to make online purchase...m struggling wth mine plz help
JasonElrick
Occasional Contributor
No you dont, NONE of the other banks need you to upgrade.

I am a software programmer with 15 years experience in online transacting and and Im telling you for certain that your answer is inaccurate.
JasonElrick
Occasional Contributor

Im a e-commerce finance programmer.  I know exactly how online transactions work.  

Not to worry though.  I went to FNB, tne minutes later had a savings account with a debit card that is 3D secured and I can can now use my FNB account to shop online.  I should probably put my salary there too in that case.

Thanks!

JasonElrick
Occasional Contributor

Im a e-commerce finance programmer.  I KNOW how to shop online.  But most online retailers require the card to be 3d Secured.

Not to worry though.  I went to FNB, tne minutes later had a savings account with a debit card that is 3D secured and I can can now use my FNB account to shop online.  I should probably put my salary there too in that case.

Thanks!

MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @JasonElrick

I can understand your frustration on this. Kindly note that online shopping at any point will require you to capture your card details by using your card details including the CVV number which is a secure three digit pin at the back of your cheque or credit card. To resolve this, you will need to upgrade your account to a cheque account in order to be able to shop online.

Regards,

Mandy

JasonElrick
Occasional Contributor

This is really NOT acceptable. ALL the other banks allow online shopping with a 3D secured debit card.

angazi
I have same problem. I opened Access account today Thursday, 15 February 2018, it is not allowing me to make any online shopping and I need this service more than anything else. I cannot open current account because they need payslip which I don't have as I am currently unemployed. Without this online shopping the account is useless and hence I will be cancelling this account next week, it doesn't serve me any purpose.
mchand
Occasional Contributor

So I think the confusion here tends to be that we HAVE the CVV number. on our cards. I think everyone here has tried to enter their etails online and only cam here after it said there were issues. What is the CVV number for if not for this? Would you agree that technically this is  possible an instead it's service that is restricted? And can someone please address my original question, is the app I linked to legit? Is it actually associated with Standard bank? 

mchand
Occasional Contributor

You can EFT through payfast, it's pretty secure but takes a hour or two to go through since Standard bank is slow to process orers (this was according ot feedback from them) 

MandyP
Community Coordinator

Hello @Kh1

Kindly be advsied that online shopping at any point will require you to capture your card details by using your card details including the CVV number which is a secure three digit pin at the back of your cheque or credit card. To resolve this, you will need to upgrade your account to a cheque account in order to be able to shop online.  

Regards,

Mandy 

Kh1
Why isn't my Student Achiever accepted for online purchases.
SadFace

Why can I shop online on Takealot but not using my MasterCard debit card for online shipping, same card, same bank but 2 different stories. 

mchand
Occasional Contributor
Hi so firstly my original question was asking if you can verify that the merchant OLITO is trustworthy because they has a system that lets you use debit cards for payments but I am hesitant to trust it because it is third party. Either verify formally that he is legit or shutdown his service if it is taking peoples money with your business name on it!

Ideally I'd like this to go higher because based on the research I did our cards have all the needed characteristics to work with online shopping and Standard Bank is needlessly withholding it. This is a STUDENT ACCOUNT and the fact is that younger people are more willing to make online transactions than older generations. In china and india they recognise this and are pushing to go cashless meanwhile here you have the audacity to have an account that doesn't let you purchase online. This is a chance for standard bank to make more money from fees and it seems senseless that you don't have this basic service people WANT.

To everyone else in the thread, takealot uses Payfast with EFT so you can use that (I have and havent had a problem) on a number of sites. For overseas purchases you can get the Luno wallet and buy bitcoin with EFT and then use that. Its insane that we need to use intermediary services to get this basic service to work (which obviously can)
heinza7778
New Contributor
Please note that you are lying.....or your employers are lying, because I got the following sms:

"If shopping online from the comfort of your home is your next, then use your Standard Bank Debit card for a safer more convenient way to pay and best of all: FREE!. Opt Out?SMS Stop."

So who is it that is lying or disabling services that is supposed to be "FREE"??
Boitumelo
Community Coordinator

Hello @RETHAGROEN,

Please note that you can't use the Debit MasterCard to do online purchases. The CVV number is for other merchants that accepts debit MasterCard as they might be prompted to confirm the CVV number on your debit card for swipe purchases not online transactions.

Let me know if this is not clear.

Regards,

Boitumelo

RETHAGROEN
New Contributor
Ccv nr I mean. The debit mastercard does have it.
RETHAGROEN
New Contributor
That's a big problem for me. The debit mastercard has a csv nr. And the little pamphlet you get with your card, when you open a plain access account, says you can do online shopping with it. Yet, now you say you need a checue account for it. Which one is it. Because your marketing is ki d of misleading then!!!