Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

BAW - BARLOWORLD

PILOT_ROB
Contributor
Hi Guys - broke my rules on this one and greedily bought it for the dividend. Flew through my stoploss, and now bleeding red !!!! Fundamnetals and results all looked great - actually excellent - but it just keeps getting sold downnnnnn. Any views would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
john_1
Super Contributor
Err.Keep your rules...it sounds like your reason for buying and the reason for the rules are not in sink.. Dividends by nature will lead to a capital reduction.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Market always looks forward. my guess is that sentiment right now is that BAW is reliant on infrastructure spending in SA to generate business. Trevor is forecasting a budget deficit (I think) so it is unlikely that government is going to increase their spending. Mines are cutting down on capex, so the big question is, where is BAW's business going to come from in the near term. i have the same problem with ACL. PPC, in my own opinion only, is better positioned to capitalize first on any growth.
0 Kudos
akashmaha
Frequent Contributor
Rule 2 is do not forget Rule 1.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
When people starts thinking of buying cars again and the banks starts considering financing them again instead of taking back 6000 od cars a month and when construction contracts arent cancelled every second day. This one burnt me as well a while back. I placed it on the the watchlist. It my opinion that we wont see fireworks before sometime next year.
0 Kudos
PILOT_ROB
Contributor
Thnx John - understand this and happily took the dividend. It just concerns me that the share is getting hammered !!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Stand back from it..Evaluate it as if you have never seen it before in your life.. if it looks like a buy..then hold..if it screams sell, do so and write the loss off to the taxman.
0 Kudos
PILOT_ROB
Contributor
Thnx - trade the price I guess - problem is I'm tempted to buy more & then rule # 3 is probably broken.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
is buying a falling share the best you can do with yor cash?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
cat is cutting back 20'000 jobs soon, and that could have an effect on bar
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Hell... don't know about the fundamentals. But I can't see anything on the chart which would indicate a rampant rally! It seems more a case of fizzle, fizzle, fizzle... die. There does seem to be a hint of a falling wedge on the weekly chart from 2008 - 2009 and if it breaks out of that there should be a bit of a rally. But so far.. no breakout.
0 Kudos