Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

BOB Grabs 51%

Brazen
Super Contributor
Interesting innit? Power jostling - looks like Mbeki's getting desparate and we're getting Zuma. Nothing's changed since Roman times. Toga's were better tho.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
After the toga dress up comes the stab in the back, if I remember my Roman History.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
q baby, you gotta drink more.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Lots of fantastic food, fornication and alchohol. An average week-end in Knysna.
0 Kudos
quovadis
Frequent Contributor
Think you're right B. But if the beverage is to be hot or cold, the timing nowadays is everything. After all, one needs electricity to heat the water for coffee/tea or chill the beer/wine.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Total fatalities in Iraq from April 2006 to March 2007 : 24,699 (this includes all security forces, insurgents and civilian deaths). SA recorded murders of 19,250 over the same period - 78% of the above in a "peaceful rainbow nation" environment. Reported incidents of rape came to 52,500 over this period. Add in armed robberies, hijackings, assaults, etc. this certainly places Preston's "brutal past" in some context. By utilising one's own critical faculties, your stock selection and investment performance should also benefit greatly as a by-product.
0 Kudos
dimitrius
Regular Contributor
No quovadis, there cannot be any political will to stop crime in this country. What we are seeing is Mbeki losing credibility in the eyes of his own people, and the only way he is able to hold on to power is by keeping his own "yes-men" in powerful positions, who are also reliant on his political blessing to stay in power. It's a mutual parasitic relationship. The Vusi Pikoli drama is purely an issue of structures. He doesn't want to report to the department of safety, but to Justice, which makes perfect sense seeing that the Scorpions are meant to be autonomous to the SAPS. He told Mbeki this and Mbeki suspended him. Unfortunately his loyalty to Mbeki is still strong and he won't bad mouth him. Bridget Mabandla, the minister of justice, wants Pikoli to report to the dept of safety because she has no desire to be held ultimately accountable for the investigations of the Scorpions. She is also a yes-woman of Mbeki's. She also has blocked every bit of reform in the criminal justice system that can yield positive results. The criminal justice system is falling apart, and every attempt at correcting the situation is met by a cabinet with no desire to see change past their own bank accounts and political ambitions.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Here is a little fact for you. In 1994 ( 13-14 years into Zims Democracy the Pound/ZIM Dollar exchange rate was 14-1...In SA 13 years into our democracy the pound/Rand exchange rate is 14-1. Today the ZIM Dollar I was told this morning is just a little shy of 1000 000 -1..
0 Kudos
quovadis
Frequent Contributor
TG where did you get the stats for Iraq? Imagine the FIFA response if the suggestion had been made that the 2010 World Cup should be held in the war zone that's Iraq. It's not such a silly option if you bear in mind that you've more chance of being the victim of some form of violence in RSA than in Iraq.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Now, now q, a man as resourceful as you would merely rub two little twigs together and make a fire. And tie a rope around a crate of champage and lower it to the bottom of the lagoon. Voilà!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The global stats quoted in an SA daily said that if a murder takes place there is 60% chance that the murder is committed by the sexual partner or somebody well know th the victum... In SA that stat is much higher. closer to 70%. So before you leave SA make sure your wife/husband stays behind.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
1000000:1 - is that the exchange rate or the odds of things getting better?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Topgun. I just believed that the latter part of your conversation have just crossed "THE RUBICON". Leave my stock selection to my discretion and express your opinion on a subject matter that you are fimiliar with and not on a forum member that you know nothing about.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Dyslexic moment? Or are you tipping Mittal?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
quovadis
Frequent Contributor
Would probably have to leave my wife behind anyway if I left when the ZAR/BPB exchange rate was 1mil/1, simply because my entire portfolio will probably then not be enough to buy both of us a semi-decent bottle of wine to drink. But I promise not to use B's priorities as the criteria when making that decision.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
On that illuminating note, I've gotta go now. People to torture, Chuckles to eat.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Yes I am punting Mittal.
0 Kudos