Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Banks

sharepicker
Occasional Contributor
Lets all give ourselves a nice Christmas prezzie by not paying our November mortgage installments, this will help the retailers, brewers etc, and give the banks something to think about, and if this was done world wide only the really fittest banks would stay in the woodpile.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Jim_Bean
Regular Contributor
Best advice I've heard in a long time ...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If one looks at the breakdown of a homeowners bond payment then around 90% of the total amount paid is interest, and that goes to the bank . The other 10% is capital reduction, that goes to the owner of the house. Something is wrong.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Dude how much of what you call Normal life can you do without a bank Think about that. Now not paying a banker salery for a couple of months thats a whole diffrent story..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Are there any liquidity issues in the south african markets? The rand is now at 9.10, I know that there is a huge current account deficit + carry trade had been unwinding, the japanese is very strong. but now u have a situation where interest rates are vry high + stock market is down more than 40% + capital outflow issues and the rand. do south african banks still trust and lend to each other? anyone in the know how? these are not just interesting times, they are scary too.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Our markets here the JSE and our Rand currency is not doing to badly - of co***** they are losing ground but i see much worse overseas. Fortunately we are well supported by good industries like miners and manufacturers , farming who we can rely on to support our economy and help balance our current account.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
ASA is owned by Barclays and SBK is owned by the Chinese. Ponder that one for a minute...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ya, Barclays how is that affecting ABSA, I see healines lately advising about job cuts at ABSA, I know we have an economic slowdown and this can expected, but maybe some of these decisions are pushed by Barclays.
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
Wish I could buy 20% of a company and own it. The Chinese really are an intelligent race.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ASA cut 100 staff, hardly significant.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
True, I had so much critism about exchange controls, now that this world tragedy happened, I hear a lot about how exchange controls saved SA banks and economy, is that now view of many economists and analysts? and do they now support exchange controls going forward?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I don;t buy the story and I am not convinced it is a widely held view.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Standard Bank nearing that 72 level. Crisis or not. Thats a tempting price.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Lord above ! when is this market going to turn . I have today for the first time just seen a fraction of green at the DOW startup. Hope there will be some more. I really think that the Americans and British are going to have a change of living standards and lifstyle over the next years.
0 Kudos