Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Be lucky - it's an easy skill to learn

18 REPLIES 18
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
Cool article. Positive expectancy - hugely important in just about any undertaking in life ...
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
Nice one Simon thanks - I think the guys that over analyse share prices should have a read - they tend to look for too many signals when its right there in front of them
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Interesting article,Simon.Lucky you spotted it!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
who spotted the cool downloads?
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I've got another question: was there ever research done into the way super-successful people, like Jamie Dimon, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, etc felt about their successes before they got them. I believe a person can tell if they will be successful or not, the idea is that if one is positive good thing come your way, similar to the article above. But how did these guys feel/behave and function in their early years before they achieved super-success.. this doesnt stop at these guys, it goes back to Andrew Carnegie, J. P. Morgan and all those guys. I think if one is onto a plan and sticks to it, allocate lots of time to achieving ones goals success will come ones way. Sometimes i have a feeling that really makes me believe over time my efforts will become very successful, it really excites me though... so my thoughts was how did these bigtime guys feel when they were aiming for success?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Didn't Gary Player say "The more I practise the luckier I get"?
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
There is research along these lines that shows that success of the big guns came predominantly from vision, not from a hunch as you are suggesting. Millionaires grow up with a desire to be exactly that, and pave their way according to the vision. Put your feet firmly on the ground, then stick your head above the clouds.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
What a load of crock. Luck has nothing to do with it. It's all a matter of intelligence. All it takes is three simple steps: 1) Simple observation; 2)General knowledge; 3)Common sense. These steps resolve most of lifes challenges. However these steps cannot be taught at schools or uni. It's either you have it or you don't.
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
The article isn't about luck at all ...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
i didnt suggest a hunch... i tried to say that when one has a plan in place (the vision you mentioned) and its working it makes one have a feeling that is very cool and seems to indicate that things are working well and will lead to future success...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
my question actually was how do these guys feel, not get a hunch on future, but when they doing what they do which will lead to ultimate success, how do they feel about it? has that been researched?
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Luck is the low probability event that comes right. The point of the article is that positive people will make more of their opportunities than negative people. The newspaper experiment is absolutely invalid since it brings double standards!! But it goes beyond that..The Lazy system has probably a return of 30%/year for the first 10 years. The next 10 it returns 10%. Was that bad luck? U might think of it that way for the period and we are humans and we will think of it that way , but the answer is that the average return over a period of 20 years was 20%!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Something that all the bigtime guys have in common is the fact that they did not know how they will become succsessful but they did know that they would and they also know the why. A point of belief and a clear vision
0 Kudos
Not applicable
This can be applied to sports teams as well. If a team is a consistent loser they tend to focus too much on the small dot in the middle - they miss the big dots around the outside. Lions/Cheetahs good example.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Werner, read the book OUTLIERS by Malcolm Gladwell. It is interesting how date of birth relative to man-made deadlines (School intake, sports teams etc) increases your chances of being "spotted" & therefore seemingly more lucky / talented than the next guy. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet etc all had 3 things in common - access to technology ahead of its time & continued exposure to that opportunity & therefore the ability to hone their skills as the technology developed; they "saw" the opportunity before it was there; they pushed through irrespective of what the world was telling them - "geek Moron idiot" etc. I can wholeheartedly agree with the Luck article as I see it in action everyday. Sometimes it is better to be out looking for something rather than anything specific. Allowing oneself to run down a few cul-de-sacs just to see what is there is a great way of spotting huge opportunities.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
ya. I gave this a little thought and tested it out on my kids..when building puzzles..each piece has exactly the same "value" as the next no piece is anymore important in getting to the goal..a completed puzle yet we tend to assign value, making us waist time seaching for that"one" piece... much the same thing..it really does have a great deal to do with goal dirrection and the role faith plays in that procecss..faith that the answers or help will come...
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
without faith that luck exists,faith that you are lucky.. without that,you are always looking to do it all by yourself.. faith also dictates that change is a good thing, so change is not threating or a bad thing..
0 Kudos