Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Chart on website

Asher
Regular Contributor
When does the TOPI (or any chart) get updated ?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
asher, you talking the java charts I assume. On stocks they update during the day with 15 min delay, but only the high, low & close is accurate. Open = close = current 15 min delayed. Then at 9pm all indices and non stocks get a full update and stocks get correct open price.
0 Kudos
Asher
Regular Contributor
Simon, is there a reason that the opening price does not appear throught out the day? Does the opening work the same as the closing action? It does not sound like the share opening price is the first trade of the day :)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no idea why not. An opening price = first trade of the day (be that at 9am or later). Opening auction, yes from 8.30am - 9.00am.
0 Kudos
Mic
Super Contributor
Simon is there after hours trading on wave warrants. For example if I have a sell order @ 100 and the market closes @ 16H45 @ 97 and I leave my sell order for next day, can it still get sold after hours @ my sell price. Thanks
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
mic, short answer = no. WAVE trading ends at 4.50pm when we enter the closing auction and starts again at 9.10am. BUT if it is a Topi wave (or warrant) the issue can do/undo the hedge until 5.45pm and from 8.30am as the futures market trades longer then the JSE. So you could call the issuer and ask then to close the hedge for you at your price (if possible) and then you'd do the trade tomorrow when we open. BUT the issue is not obliged to do this and they need to trust you, ideally you really need to have built a relationship with them.
0 Kudos
Mic
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Asher
Regular Contributor
Hi Simon. Just checked that the TOPI chart still shows yesterdays info :(.
I have a few questions about the opening auction for you :):
why is it 30mins long - not to say why not 20 or 45 mins, but why such a length of time?; Do they use that time to decide which trade goes in first?
and is the first trade a single trade starting where they ended at the previous days closing or a group of trades placed at the same price?

Thanks...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Hey Asher, will check why not updated (it is now and should be at 9).

30 minutes, no real clue. But there is a lot of data/news/moves from over night to process for brokers etc. Who goes first is not one person/broker but rather a number of peoples but all in one tarde. What happenms is that buy/sell orders are entered into the system from 8.30am and then at 9.00am the JSE system works out at what price does the largest volume trade, that is then the opening trade and as mentioned could be a number of brokers/clienmts not just one and is often a large tarde as is the closing 5pm trade.
0 Kudos
Asher
Regular Contributor
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
0 Kudos