Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

China makes a bid for ABN amro

john_1
Super Contributor
So thise boys with narrow eyes and deep pockets have launched a bid for ABN. with 1.3 billion dollars in the bank they thought they needed a biger bank to hold all that cash. The Chinese shopping spree begins. Banks first Miners second.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they not buying mines - just negiotating output from the governments, already happening in much of Africa. Much easier because at teh end of the day a mine is just a big hole, and by their route it'll be somebody elses hole.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
maybe, but having a hole that make money and is a dollar hedge seems to make sense to me, that way the yanks are getting beaten at their own game.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
As far as I read it there is defintely no bid by the Chinese. They have now taken a position in Barclays. I follow this very carefully as I have shares in Fortis Bank, which is part of the consortium that outbid Barclays for ABN/AMRO. The market did not take it nicely as the Fortis shares have taken a dip! Price for the Dutch bank is too high!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The chinese are bidding to buy something like a 10% share in barclays which is exactly what is needed by barclays to enable them to put more cash on the table in their bid for ABN. So barclays gets more cash flush for the takeover talks and China gets a nice finger in the pie... win - win sounds good to me. the brits are freaking out about the chinese moving in on their domain...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The offer for ABN=AMRO is inthe region of US$ 90 milliard. The mind boggles an the 1.6 milliard you are mentioning is peanuts.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
the 1.6 is just to buy a small piece of the pie in barclays but they are only too happy for the cash injection to help their stand in the bid for abn...
0 Kudos