Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Comment,.....hold or dump

Rovert
Super Contributor
For them daily traders out there....lets say you have 50k of warrants on AGL and for some reason your stop losses failed and now you 50% in the red. Would it be wise to dump and take the hit or just sit on your hands for up to 6 weeks and wait for a recovery. Lets hear the consensus out there....expiry in 5 months or so.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable
The longer the warrant is valid for the better you are off. I've heard of warrants that can be valid for up to 5 years, but I've never seen one valid for more than 6 months in SA. Selling now also depends on whether you think the share will go down or up in the next 5 months. Commentators are saying both, so you need to do your own research. Although it's difficult to sell at a 50% loss, you might feel better doing it. If your warrant then goes down another 30% and then starts going up, you can buy lower down. If you sell and the warrant starts going up you can buy again. You might lose something but you won't lose everything. When I trade warrants, I am prepared to lose 100% of my investment, so I only trade with a maximum of R10,000 and usually R5,000. In November I made R5,000 twice (100% of my investment twice; I could have done it three times if I wasn't greedy) on GFI warrants which is the only share's warrants that I trade. I think you need to decide on the number of different warrants you can manage. For me in a full time business which isn't share trading, watching a single company's warrants is enough for me. And I only buy call warrants at this stage. Having said all this, the theory says you should decide how much loss you are prepared to take at the outset and set a trailing stop loss accordingly. Or if you'd rather be warned, set an alert. Last week one of my stop losses triggered for a large sale outside the day's range. Ce Le Vie, I have funds to play on another day and I still made a 90% profit. The warrant then went up, but is now lower than what it sold for.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
Use the formuale and calculate with time decay what the share price needs to be in 6 weeks time for you to break even. Usually, the time decay element makes a huge difference. In trading warrants, they are short term 1-3 weeks trades, longer than that you are fighting against time. You will most likely realise that the underlying share price needs to be significantly higher in 6 weeks time to break even. Trading highly geared instruments, you must be prepared to looose all.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
How do you calculations? formuale and calculate with time decay what the share price will be. please help me with this formuale.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
with respect, this is ostly horrid advice. Waiting and hoping may pay off, but could equally make a 50% loss into a 100% loss. Lets be honest, nobody knows where anythign will be in 5 months time. Reset your stop loss from yesterdays close, and this time if hit don't miss it.
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
Which AGL warrant? Need the strike price...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Rovert... the share will only recovery when you sell your warrant.
0 Kudos
Rovert
Super Contributor
The warrant is AGLSBE ....Strike R240 Expires May 09. Dont bother trying to calculate value fwd....calculator isnt working but will chase that up.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think that the problem with the calculator is that the implied volatility value that it is using (10%) is far too low. (Don't ask me where to find the correct figure - I also don't know.) The question that you have to ask yourself: "Is there a compelling reason why this share will increase rapidly in value in the short term?" If you have a good reason, then hold; if you are just holding out of hope, then rather get out now before you lose the rest.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
if you think agl will do 30% in 5 months, why take the extra risk and cost of leverage? Just buy AGL for your 30%?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
PLAYED AGL for 2months made and lost money. now im break even again... please let me know how to calculate the time decay against the price.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
time value is spot less strike divided by cover. This is what goes into theta, but value leak is not linear.
0 Kudos
Pluto
Contributor
Must add my 2 cents worth - if you are trading warrants or any derivative - if you are not cash positive or even in your position in day one you do not have an edge - all this talk of holding derivatives foe extended periods really scares me because the underlying emotion in that is hope which will get you into big trouble. Spend time and develop your edge on entry and exit is my advice.
0 Kudos