Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

DR ROFFEY

gida
Contributor
I bought my AFO shares on Dr Roffeys recommendation ie that at a certain price they were a good buy... Does anyone actually take chartist advise and looking at AFOs current chart... when is it going to bottom out... also asking are there any simple tech analysis books to read??
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
topgun
Super Contributor
oh dear....he also recommended DRD at 1000cps...do you share his bullish sentiment re gold? always regard any advice with the necessary circumspection. he has been punting gold stocks forever and will probably be right...eventually.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I would suggest you contact the FSB....they are keen to hear from ppl that have lost money due to Roffey's advice....
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
On CNBC there was a chartist called Chris Loch. He got most of his predictions wrong and eventually his prime time was taken away. When will that happen Mr Rotten?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
its not so much the quality of the advice(which is suspected albeit smattered with moments of lucidity) but the manner in which it is presented which really really gets to me....when you hear the words "definitely", "must","has to", "ridiculously cheap", you know there is a problem because these concepts simply do not exist in the market...if you say or think the market is definitely going in a certain direction or has to do something guess what follows next.....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Gida I am going to take a wild guess here but I would guess you bought around the 10-12 May? Let me know when you bought and I will tell you how to never get suckered like that again ....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
sorry make that April...
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Oh goody goody gumdrops. Only today I was saying to Gravy that the forum has gotten pretty dull since Chartist dropped (was forced to drop) his Roffey vendetta. A bland forum is a sad forum. That's for you mouseboy.
0 Kudos
gida
Contributor
hi I bought my AFO in 2 parts 2nd on the 12 june at 305 because Roffey said they were cheap at 320 first time a while ago at about 369...saw them peak at 420 and have been tumbling down the hill since... eish i'm R600 in the dwang...thank G-d for my lack of capital!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes! exactly you bought on 11/04...the price reached 369 and made an all time high ...the rest of the story sounds very much like the DRD saga...cheap at R 12 cheaper at R 10 cheapest at R 5? ....
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
R600? I don't mean to be rude, but surely trading tiny amounts means that your shares need to do extremely well just to get over your trading costs? You should look into Standard Banks monthly debit option that lets you invest in quality shares in small amounts in a very cost effective way. It's called "Auto share invest" or something.... Simon can probably give more details.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hi there Tango, and he bought them in 2 amounts therefore paying trading cost twice.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya ASI (Auto Share Invest). Only for SB online banking acounts. You can buy shares monthly with a min of R500.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm paranoid when it comes to someone promoting a small cap to the public, maily beacuse of "pump and dump" scam fears. It can work like this: you buy into a share, then you use agressive marketing to tell everyone how good the investment is. Talk shows, newsletters and telephone marketing could be used. As the public follow your advice, the price gets pumped after which you dump the shares for a profit. I'ts difficult to prove and I also tend to see conspiracy where it doesn't exist...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes Mam, I couldnt agree more, but by the punter owning the share 1st there would be questions about insider trading maybe? here's the scinario Ive always had on my mind... Lets say your name is Zzuba and you are a member of a public share meeting group and successfully call shares before they rise. lets just call the shares HDJ and LAS. and you get a rep for calling shares. You then start up a penny share newsletter and get 5000 subscribers charging them R50pm subs (ie. R250000 per month income without having to touch a share.) then each month you punt a share that hasnt really had any activity and 500 subscribers follow your call. the share then jumps 50 or 100% due to the sudden increase in volumes etc. You can then say your newsletter successfuly called such and such a share which then went up X% and have a 95% success rate after 1 year which gets you even more followers. It all lands up like a pyramid scheme where all those who get in 1st make the bucks and the guys that get in last come short meanwhile the founder of the whole thing makes a fortune of everyone else...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes all possible but all you have to do is look at the volume....when something makes new highs without the accompanying volume very loud alarm bells should be ringing.....I am not a subscriber to conspiracy theories ....but large holders of a stock esp as small cap can and do look for good exit points when they want to exit a large position....get what I mean....they cannot just exit as their exit will trigger forced selling...stops going off margin calls etc....it looks to me as of this was the case.....
0 Kudos