Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Decline in the value of our currency

shakira
Occasional Contributor
A while back I had a question about how the long term investor should view the current trends in our stock market and in the global markets. My mind was put at ease since I was assured that the markets will turn around at some time in the future as it did in the "mini crash" of 1998. I am also still young and have lots of time on my side. But now I am worried about the decline in the value of our currency. Some forumites suggested that we deposit our money in offshore bank accounts like Australia as a hedge against the falling rand. But what if you are now heavily invested in our stock market and in property and do not have cash lying around? How can you protect your assets now? I don't want to sell my stocks while they are at these levels. What if the country is really going in the direction that some forumites have predicted (e.g. Topgun)? I really hope its not, but how do I protect my hard earned money from such a fate.
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
Preston
Super Contributor
I am also still young , "have lots of time on myself" These are attributes i love,please give my brother a call?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Ega
Super Contributor
Shakira, hope this helps;

Apparently from Alan Knott-Craig (CEO of Vodacom) to his staff: 2008 has certainly started with a bang! The future was rosy on 31 December 2007, but suddenly everyone is buying candles and researching property in Perth!

A combination of recession in the USA, global equity market negativity, high interest rates, the National Credit Act and power outages have combined to create the perfect storm.

But don't panic!

This is not the first time there's been doom and gloom. Every few years the same thing happens. We experience massive economic growth, everyone is optimistic and buying Nescafe Gold, and holiday homes, and Merc's. The positivity gets ahead of itself and the economy overheats, and then panic sets in because the economy seems to be collapsing when in actual fact it's simply making an adjustment back to a reasonable level.

It happened in 1989, when SA defaulted on its international loans and the stock market and Rand crashed, it happened in 1994 when the ANC took power and everyone thought war would break out, it happened in 1998 when interest rates hit 25% and you couldn't give away your house, and it happened in 2001 when a fairly unstable guy by the name of Osama arranged for 2 Boeings to fly into the tallest buildings in New York!

On each of those occasions everyone thought it was the end of the world and that there was no light in sight. And on each occasion, believe it or not, the world did not actually end, it recovered and in fact things continued to get better.

I think 2008 will be a tough year, but I also see it as a great opportunity to seize the day whilst everyone else is whinging and get a front-seat on the inevitable boom that we'll experience in 2009, 2010 and beyond.

Make sure you make a mental note of everything that is happening now, because it will happen again and again, and if you don't recognize the symptoms you'll be suckered into the same negativity, and forget to look for the opportunities.

It's easy to be negative. Subconsciously, you WANT to be negative! Whenever you open the papers they tell you about the goriest hi-jacking and the most corrupt politicians. Why don't they dedicate more pages to the fact that Joburg is the world's biggest man-made forest, or to the corruption-free achievements of the vast majority of public officials? Because bad news sells. Good news is boring.

SA still has the best weather in world! We're lucky enough to possess a huge chunk of the world's resources, i.e.: gold, platinum, coal, iron. The growth in India and China will continue to accelerate (India and China sign 10mil new mobile customers every month), and so will their demand for our resources. The government has already embarked on massive infrastructure projects (some of them a tad late, i.e.: electricity), and this will pump money into the economy.

We are all lucky enough to be a part of the birth of a massive and all-encompassing industry. The Internet has and will continue to change the world. The enormity of its impact is up there with the wheel, electricity, TV, telephones, and possibly man's greatest ever invention, coffee. Not only does it open up an entirely untapped world of commerce, but it is also the ultimate disseminator of information and news. Apartheid would not have lasted 40 years if the Internet had existed! And you're part of it!

I'm looking forward to another year of ASA complaints, IR issues, Plug & Wireless parties, BTS roll-outs, billing runs, irate customers, happy customers, orange bubbles, faulty elevators, etc, etc. The nice stuff makes me feel good, and the challenges remind me why we can beat the competition. Most importantly I'm looking forward to having fun and making memories.

So ignore the doomsayers, install a timer on your geyser, and buy Ricoffee for a couple of months.

Cheers,

Alan

0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Ega, are you doing your doctrine.
0 Kudos
Ega
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Hibiscus
Regular Contributor
Shakira if you are that worried: buy currency futures. Same thing than investing offshore.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thank you for the positive note. Where do you come from Ega? I hope not FNB. Good upliftment on the sad day.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Shakira, no one knows the future, the earth could be hit by a meteorite tonight. Diversify, have property, have shares, put some money off shore if that makes you comfortable. Also, don't forget many great Top40 companies are dual listed so you're getting Rand hedges anyway without the hassle of managing money overseas.
0 Kudos
Ega
Super Contributor
Retired from Eskom (Hahaha), Living near Simon's Town
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Now I know why we get power cuts. Poeple like you retired at eskom.
0 Kudos
shakira
Occasional Contributor
Thank you very much for your positive inputs, especially to Ega, Brazen and Hibiscus.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Shakira - I never made a prediction about the future but merely highlighted some sad and indisputable facts of life in SA - people will interpret these according to their own prejudices and hopes. One has to live life with an optimistic bias..but ignorance and sheer stupidity cannot be denied or wished away and we are increasingly experiencing the consequences..and for problems to be solved one has first to acknowledge them...and a country soon to be shrouded in darkness with the onset of winter doesn't excite me.
0 Kudos
Hibiscus
Regular Contributor
Big pleasure. Just remember; I am an expert on currency futures and still think the risks inherent to them by far outweighs my 'worries' Brazen is saying just that I think
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Ega ek bly ook naby Smst, EPos [email protected]. Welkom om my te *****ak.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
You forgot to mention the vars boerewors,Ega.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
stupidity quantified - Brutal Gold Damage - http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw/en/page1329?oid=192000&sn=Detail. Now consider the wider socio-economic implications.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Ega,everyone knows there is a lot of good in South Africa.Unfortunately this is all meaningless now to those who have been killed for cellphones etc. I think most people are too concerned about survival to smell the flowers. That's understandable.Negative? Maybe,but realistic.
0 Kudos