Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Dirty dealing on JSE goes punished..Interesting Reading

Preston
Super Contributor
FSB slaps R2m fines on broker, fund boss who rigged shares 2/11/2007 By Chantelle Benjamin Fines of R2m each have been imposed on an asset manager and a stockbroker found to have manipulated shares, in the first prosecution by the Financial Services Board enforcement committee under the 2005 Financial Services Act. In imposing the R2m penalties, the committee said the transactions had the effect of adjusting the aggregate market capitalisation of the relevant shares by more than R300m. The trades in question involved two JSE-listed property companies, Ifour Properties and SA Retail Properties . The accused were Michael Berman, the hedge fund manager for Velocity Trading, and Neil Stacey, a registered securities trader and head of sales trading at HSBC Securities . Rob Barrow, executive officer of the Financial Services Board , said the judgment sent a clear message that those who knowingly broke JSE rules would pay the price. The judgment discusses the importance of ensuring that the penalty is seen as sufficient to act as a deterrent to others. It tells asset managers, like Berman, that they could face severe consequences, and brokers like Stacey , that they too can be penalised. The charges against Berman and Stacey relate to trades made on the JSE on March 31 2005. The i nquiry by the committee was held on Tuesday and Wednesday. Berman was accused of manipulating the closing price of shares on that day by waiting until shortly before the JSE closed and buying them at a price higher than the market-related one. He was accused also of pushing up the price of SA Retail shares by placing an order to sell 500 of its shares at R8,75, despite the shares being traded at R8. Berman then placed an order to buy on behalf of Mayibentsha Velocity Fund Trust, which he also managed. Stacey was accused of being a willing participant and assisting Berman in manipulating the market. Berman admitted contravening the act by intentionally manipulating the price of the shares in the two companies, but requested that the committee take into consideration when considering a penalty which can be as high as R50m that profit made from the deal was between R4000 and R16000. Stacey pleaded not guilty, arguing he had no knowledge that the trades were tainted, that he had nothing to gain from the transaction, and that he had been busy that afternoon and was not paying close attention to what was going on. The committee, based on a transcript of the interrogation of the respondents by the FSB and the recorded telephonic discussions between Berman and Stacey on the day, said in its judgment that it was clear from the telephone calls that the two men knew each other well. It said it was impossible for Stacey not to have known Berman was trying to manipulate the market. Stacey did not ask for clarity when Berman introduced his discussion to buy 212 Ifour shares at higher than the going rate by saying: Lets do some doctoring here. In our view the contravention was deliberate and very serious, the committee said. Not only was there great risk of harm but it could prompt investors in the market to question the trustworthiness and the credibility of the market. This is the first hearing on market manipulation but the committee has awarded a R750000 penalty in a plea bargain agreement involving Scharrig Mining and Thabex Exploration.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
divz
Super Contributor
Good Stuff hopefully these other w##kers read this and stop losses actually work again at some point in the future
0 Kudos
faure
Frequent Contributor
This is the most pointless thing I've ever seen. Fine a guy for pushing the share price? Manipulation happens all the time at different degrees, I think the FSB just needed to appear to be doing their job. The real problem is the JSE's obsolete closing auction system. The way the Yanks do it is a far better system. The other thing I have a problem with is insider trading laws. I'm a little guy and I feel there is nothing wrong with insider trading - the people I trade against will always have different (better or worse)info than I - why make that illegal?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
obsolete closing auction system - huh? How do the yanks do it?
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
faure
Frequent Contributor
Yes the Yanks use a similar closing cross system. What I meant was that the closing auction is the last trade of the day. In the US that isn't the case. They have after hours trading where any manupulation in their closing cross is taken advantage of. Why doesn't the JSE make use of after hours trading? After all they also use an electronic system.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I agree with your point Simon. Stockbrokers are not slave drivers...
0 Kudos