Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Div Trading

BGW
Occasional Contributor
what is the general view on Dividend trading. Assume you have R100k profit from shares trading - we would be liable for R40k in tax and thus R60k after tax. Assuming we bought shares cum div on Friday and sold on Monday ex Div made a loss that approx the div say R75k. Thus profit reduces to R25k but Div is R75k -after tax of R75k plus 15k = 90k. Made 30k extra after tax Is there something wrong with my logic
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
john_1
Super Contributor
Use the hot edd instalments, it works like a charm.
0 Kudos
Samir
Super Contributor
Nothing wrong with that. I do it to a certain extent. I think u will find that shares drop more than the dividend value when they go ex div. Just remember that when u claim deductions for tax purposes (use of laptop, 3g card, textbooks etc), SARS will pro-rata thee costs in the ratio of ur taxable vs non taxable income. Thus u will not get the full tax deduction as SARS will say that you are using your laptop and stuff to produce non taxable income(divs).
0 Kudos
BGW
Occasional Contributor
sorry new at this game - where do I find these - I can see EDS instalments - how do I find hot edd instalments.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Samir ,Banks usually produce 2 form of income , namely bank charges (vatable) and interest income (exempt from vat). It is for this reason that any asset purchased by the bank will not get the 14% deduction but rather a reduced vat portion , referred to as melting pot .This rate is determined by Commissioner.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Also remember that trading profits are taxed according to your income tax rate, not 40%. So if all you made in profits for a year, and you don't earn any other salary etc, is R100k, then you're paying about 19% tax. The tax on interest earned above the interest exemption is added to your income and taxed according to the tables in the same way.
0 Kudos
Samir
Super Contributor
Preston, I was not referring to anything relating to VAT. Was talking in terms of a private sharetrade/investor who is likely not to be registered for VAT. I was referring to Income Tax consequences only.
0 Kudos
mantra
New Contributor
what are your guys thoughts on Impala , I gather if you buy @ say 215 there is still a return of 3.5 % with in a week , hold on for two weeks extra, should come back with net of around 2% + tax free ?
0 Kudos