Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Dont like charges!!!!!

Quakedog
Super Contributor
02 Feb 2009 Monthly Admin Fee Jan 2009 + VAT R61.59 Why are we paying these huge Admin costs on our portfolio's? I dont have a big portfolio and I was charged R61 for admin costs. So you pay all trade costs and then they hit you with a monthly Admin Fee.WTF man. Dont like it!! What you guys think?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Please view the following link for the cost structures -> https://securities.standardbank.co.za/ost/nsp/fees/fees.asp - Quoted from that page: "For 3 or more trades in a calendar month no account maintenance fee is payable."
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
I THINK ITS ABSOLUTE BULL!!!! i JUS PAID R69.89 BUCKS! when i queried this they said nah my quotes bank balance was added onto the amount!!! Ive been having @!%& problems with my quotes bank balance the whole month! What a dam disappointment! we sign up for one thing, then get sumthing else.! quite frankly im sick and tired, OST yr a big disappointment.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
I getting my STEEL POLE and SPADE!!!!!and Im coming out swinging!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Admin fee of ZAR50 buys you online education courses, The Daily Standard, TA, FX and economic reports, the education newsletter, and so on so forth. And also includes a charitable donation to this forum to give the friendless and emotionally disturbed Chartist a place to rant, safe from hired hitmen. Of course, you've got to know how to read to get your 50 bucks worth.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Admin fee of ZAR50 buys you online education courses, The Daily Standard, TA, FX and economic reports, the education newsletter, and so on so forth. And also includes a charitable donation to this forum to give the friendless and emotionally disturbed Chartist a place to rant, safe from hired hitmen. Of course, you've got to know how to read to get your 50 bucks worth.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
mehroon
Frequent Contributor
Hello QD. OST as far as I know is giving a good deal. I have been with other brokers and my experience is that the brokerage they charge is very competitive. The monthly fee is, in my opinion, justified. They look after your scrip, and attend to all the actions associated with your shares. The monthly fee is waived if you do three deals in a month. If you have a small investment, then you should increase your investment over the next few months to make the situation more cost effective.
0 Kudos
Sugar_Snap
Frequent Contributor
Hi QD, yes I agree, it is very difficult if you are trading with limited funds, BUT, stick to smaller profits in the beginning, ie you start with R2000 - this will allow you to trade on the smaller contracts, maybe a std bank or so < than R2000 per contract and allowing you a bit of leverage after the costs. Try to make only R100 - R200 per deal after your costs (R68.2 x 2 = R136,40 + R150 profit = R286.40, say round it up to R300 per transaction. This way you will grow your portfolio by R150 x 3 days a week (could do it every day if you are stuck in front of your computer)= R450 profit for the first week and you traded 3 x . Therefore no more monthly charges. You can go and calculate the profits if you keep on doing this kind of thing for a month or two. Start small and this will snowball. Stick to your stategy, be very carefull of the market and the choice of contract you invest in. It is almost impossible (only almost) to trade if you are under capitalized, but hang in there, it will grow as you get to know the market a bit better. The Jews say that is takes any new business (trading is a business) 1000 days before it will start plaining and where you will start making your money. Try this and you will see. Therefore I see the losses I made as school fees. Any business has its own school fees and you just have to find a way to keep this as low as possible. Happy trading.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Not so sure about that waiver. I traded BIL twice, ALT & SFN in Jan. All those trades were in excess of R1000. Still picked up the R69.40 fee......mmmm Maybe a sneaky way for SBK to claw back some cash for mid year bonuses? Maybe Simon can help, or do these over-charges go into his slush fund to be spent on drinks with Brazen et al?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
there has always been a monthly admin fee of R50 (well it used to be higher) .. if you do 3 trades in a month you do not pay the R50 .. that said you will be billed for live prices (unless you use price streamer in which case you only pay for that) .. you are also billed for SMS's .. credits accrue for trades and you get R10 per month towards live prices and SMS's .. if you have any problem with what was charged contact the call center and they will give you the details ..
0 Kudos