Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

ECB and BOE

john_1
Super Contributor
what time is the anouncment..2pm and 2.45pm please confirm! this GMT clock back this is messing with my simple man brain.
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
_nova
Super Contributor
your times are right. I posted it early this morning. But watch out for the US jobs at 15h30. It could whipsaw everything
0 Kudos
PILOT_ROB
Contributor
According to CNN.money.com - the rate was cut by 1.5% - is this correct or speculation ?
0 Kudos
MAGICIAN
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
correct, 150bps and expect ECB cut to be 100bps at least now at 14h45. Expected was 50bps but now revised to 100bps. This has potential to cause a serious drop in EUR.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
initial reaction in stocks is usually a rally until the eejits realise the rate cut is to try and save a very sick economy
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
ooooh ECB cuts only 50bps. Mizz Market ain't gonna like that
0 Kudos
Not applicable
that was a mistake....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
that is increadable...Trichet is an idiot.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Trichet the clot, he is so predictable
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
JPY crosses nosediving, gonna take the EUR down with it
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The world need him to cut big time... now we are gonna see the yanks hurting them..Trichet is an Ass
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ya...bad for wall street...means the dollar will strengthen and US equities hate a strong dollar....the exporters are the only hope at the moment and Trichet has dealt them a blow...
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
spot on Chartist. Trichet is guaranteed to play dirty. Anyway, I bargained on his underhandedness and ran a nice 106 pip short on EURUSD. Now to look at 15h30 for what I expect will be another short opportunity
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The currency markets must be in a spin...is pound must be hurting?
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
GBP is doing ok because the BOE played fair. Ranging 1.58. It's the EUR that's going to cause consternation. Trichet is obviously trying for a weaker EUR to try and boost exports
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Trichet's come uppance would be if the EUR rebounds, then his whole little ploy would have failed and he has just screwed the Eurozone again
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
....give us a FX update nova amigo.
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Hey YNWA. Sorry man, just after my last post I set my trailing stops and stepped away as I was getting square eyed and that's when I start doing stoopid trades. Anyway, got another 70 pips for the day. I think what we all need to worry about today is just one overwhelming market mover and that's going to be the US data out today from 15h30. Non-Farm Payrolls (NFP) estimate is -175k (previous was -159k) and the market mover will be a reading of -200k or worse. If it is -200k, then the DOW is going to lose it's guts, the USD will go on a rampage, and we will just go down. It's interesting, the EURUSD is just marking time between 1.27 and 1.28 after touching the downtrend at 1.2640. It could very well rally to 1.30 again between now and the US data (any rally will also lift stocks) but I will only go long the USD into any rally on the EUR as ST predicts a rebound on an RSI breakout on 30 min while MT is just down for the EUR. Pivot is around 1.2720. This pm will tell and we'll likely see mega volatility
0 Kudos
HiSo
Frequent Contributor
Nova, is there a website (without subscription) where we can access that info as soon as it comes out ? If not, could you please update this post with the results as soon as possible after the announcement? Thanks.
0 Kudos