Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Exxarro-Too good to be true or plainly a good short in a day or two

platsak
Super Contributor
I cannot see that this can continue for too long (however to be honest I must note that I am wrong most of the time) Can Exxaro be shorted? Any ideas from the more informed members of this forum?
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
asylum
Super Contributor
Had same thoughts about the following shorted acl, kio, imp all the ones that took off today like they were going to the moon result 44k loss today.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Asylum are you still holding on those shares you are shorting? Amazing how whe the short players keep pushing up the prices yesterday and today.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
yes but dumping everything in the morning, and taking a break ,still up on a one year basis but at this rate that will also be eroded so gonna take remainder of capital and put in shares and walk away for a couple of month, just hope shares dont end up like woolies.lol
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
I see, but one question though, lets say that the jse tanks 4% tomorrow, how would that effect the decision u make to close everything in the morning? trick question :)
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
yeah will have repeated nightmares if that happens, but you know if you dont dump them and the market, especially the shorts i have acl, kio, imp run again tommorow its another wack just dont know how far they will run tomorow, im 250k on the short side so if they run another 10% that another 25k.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Must say after 8 months of dabbling that there is problably not really money to be made consecutively from this. What did the course say "follow the trend" What trend!!! Maybe the only way to make money from this subrime, credit squeeze and stagnation thing is to circle the nervous property investors (especially the ones that read the daddy book)and bought expensive property at inflated prices.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Yup our market is just not the market to play around with last 2months or so. the DOW,FTSE damn all other exchanges are down and we up....just cant see the bigger picture here. does anyone see the big picture?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
DONT TRY TO SHORT THE MARKET IF U ARE NOT EXPERIENCED!!!
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
and you are? Let me tell you something i dont care how experienced you are you will get it wrong from time to time everything on the charts may be looking like a short or a long position, but all it take is some market news to reverse that trend case in point no interest rate hike so what happens rand weakens and shares like ACL, KIO, IMP take off and platitum mines with shortage off power push plat price up due to shortage off supply, if you can figure all the things that are happening at one time especially in a volatile market then hats of to you my friend, but the big wheel turns and then you cant get a trade wrong. (Im talking in this volatile market)Much easier to go short or long when markets are stable. omo.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Asylum, I have also got just about every call wrong over the past couple of weeks. So today when everyone was screaming SHORT based on Dow futures, I said the hell with it and kept my long position. If the Dow keeps up its current trend for another hour or so, I could be smiling a little tomorrow. I'm not counting on it though. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that I agree with you - the markets have, and still are - defying logic completely. I'm down a good R40K so now I'm just gambling with what's left.
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
yep busy playing on gt247 see if i can make a better go of it trading indexes. Oh and had a power cut from 1pm - to 4 pm to add to frustrations ran out to builders wharehouse and blew another R 6500.00 for a generator just to add insult to injury, when its not your day mate its not your day!
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
i hope you not plugging that genny into your home, unless it has a voltage regulator, otherwise you'll pop every electronic thing you've got
0 Kudos