Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Financial journalists...good or bad?

Not applicable
Do you guys (professional traders) rely heavily on financial media? What do you think, generally, about the journalists reporting on business?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
do not look at the FM or Finweek at all, or the BD for that matter but for the electronic version - headliness only in order to limit noise. use Moneyweb though for interviews with CEO's as well as Summit and CNBC. Journalists generally are underpaid and as the saying goes you get what you pay for. in order to make money you must do your own research while some luck also helps.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I get most of my information from the media to get the bigger picture of things and the general climate. Don't you consider FinWeek or FM any good?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
At times yes,but u must do your own research as well,they some times point out a share that we might miss or one that is climbing well.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
we all suffer from information overload....in comes at you constantly from all directions. Intelligence and sound logic however is something totally different. the FM and Finweek no longer provide a value-added service for me and I stopped buying them about 6 years ago, also too politically correct which is often in conflict with sound economic sense. a robust methodology with good filters and a keen eye on the market (SENS, annual reports) does it for me. conviction is the name of the investment game. for that you are on your own.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
been able to read a balance sheet also helps and work out ROE and ROA for financials and industrials.i have some friends working on certain mines etc.Gee i hope i'll not be accused of .....? in which case i'll claim it was a figment of my imagination,yes it was i dreamt it.i think???????I some times e-mail a geologist friend or the secretry of the companies for facts directly as we as shareholders are entitled to do for information.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Rule#27 in Gravy's Lurv Manual. Never trust anyone who gives advice for a salary. Specially a cr@p salary.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Simon I hope you are well paid!
0 Kudos