Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Follow up to Big weekend to All by P D

CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Chartist's last post on that thread reminded me of the following story (acknowledgement to Liberty Weekly News Letter):---BRAIN TEASER It's a kind-of lateral thinking problem. The twist (and a clue) is that - according to the reasoning behind the solution - it's one you should actually prefer to get wrong. --- At her mother's funeral, a woman meets a (particular) man for the first time. He is amazing - she is totally smitten with him and almost immediately decides he is The One. Sadly, they don't exchange phone numbers, and she loses track of him at the wake. A few days later, she murders her sister. Explain. --- SOLUTION --- The basic thought process is that if this man attends a family funeral, he must be (at least) a "friend of the family"; and therefore the quickest way to cross paths with him again is to bring about another family funeral !! --- What is the twist in this particular tale? (sic...) Apparently, psychologists use tests of this nature in criminal profiling. A particular section of the population stands out from the general public, in the intelligence and speed with which they make the "moral disconnect" between the objective and what logically needs to happen - and that population sub-group is.. psychopaths (and similarly disturbed individuals)! --- That's why you can REST EASY IF THE SOLUTION NEVER EVEN CROSSED YOUR MIND! --- But here's an additional twist: a fair number of financial advisers receive this newsletter. That itself is not surprising, but funnily enough they too show an above-average propensity to solve this case in less time than it takes to say "Duh! So where's the problem?" Creepy, very, very creepy.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Preston
Super Contributor
Okay , I admit , i am no psycho!
0 Kudos
Zirk
Frequent Contributor
Not so hectic story: Many years ago in a small Indian village, a farmer had the misfortune of owing a large sum of money to a village moneylender. The moneylender, who was old, fat and ugly, fancied the farmer's beautiful daughter. So, he proposed a bargain. He said he would forego the farmer's debt if he could marry his daughter. Both the farmer and his daughter were horrified by the proposal. So the cunning moneylender suggested that they let Providence decide the matter. He told them that he would put a black pebble and a white pebble into an empty moneybag. Then the girl would have to pick one pebble from the bag. If she picked the black pebble, she would become his wife and her father's debt would be forgiven. If she picked the white pebble she need not marry him and her father's debt would still be forgiven. But if she refused to pick a pebble, her father would be thrown into jail. They were standing on a pebble-strewn path in the farmer's field. As they talked, the moneylender bent over to pick up two pebbles. As he picked them up, the sharp-eyed girl noticed that he had picked up two black pebbles and put them into the bag. He then asked the girl to pick a pebble from the bag. Now, imagine that you were standing in the field. What would you have done if you were the girl? If you had to advise her, what would you have told her? Careful analysis would produce three possibilities: - The girl should refuse to take a pebble. - The girl should show that there were two black pebbles in the bag and expose the moneylender as a cheat. - The girl should pick a black pebble and sacrifice herself in order to save her father from his debt and imprisonment. Take a moment to ponder over the story. The above story is used with the hope that it will make us appreciate the difference between lateral and logical thinking. The girl's dilemma cannot be solved with traditional logical thinking. Think of the consequences if she chooses the above logical answers. What would you recommend to the girl to do? Well, here is what she did.... The girl put her hand into the moneybag and drew out a pebble. Without looking at it, she fumbled and let it fall onto the pebble-strewn path where it immediately became lost among all the other pebbles. "Oh, how clumsy of me," she said. "But never mind, if you look into the bag for the one that is left, you will be able to tell which pebble I picked." Since the remaining pebble is black, it must be assumed that she had picked the white one. And since the moneylender dared not admit his dishonesty, the girl changed what seemed an impossible situation into An extremely advantageous one. MORAL OF THE STORY: Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. A man is but a product of his thoughts.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Moral of the story.....if your father is a good for nothing piece of cr@p get adopted or find a husband ASAP
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Zirk, excellent posting. I really love the quote from Stephan Covey book about Leadership, which goes something like this "The way we see the problem , is the problem"
0 Kudos
BusyBee
Contributor
A very clever story indeed! Thank you for that.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi Guys I must tell it the way it is: I can c that u r way ahead of me, but the thruth is: I am new in this am for some strange reasons I am so obsessed with the markets. I have just registered for on-line trading. All I need is someone to guide me. You the risks guys. The Boks are making us proud in France. Can somebody cheer me up with his or her hand please. I have gone through most of the online basics and you guys will agree: A need for personal touch can never be replaced by any of the most interesting authors you can ever find. InvestPlat Group
0 Kudos
Not applicable
sure....I can cheer you up with my hand....if there's one thing you can be assured of its the personal touch....
0 Kudos