Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

From ny watchlists......

barry_1
Super Contributor
...i've gleaned the following today....i've no idea what one should buy,so do your own research,as always only my opinion....banks took a drubbing,but with interest rates not increasing and being on very attractive PEs they should still make the running,just dunno when....retailers with reasonable PE up with Xmas coming might still run some,all up 17%plus since jul MSM,MPC,FOS and WHL now seems to be joining them although a laggard at this stage....property today did very well the ETF PTXSPY which is based on the top 24 property funds was up today,which means the underlying props mostly were up.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
striker
Super Contributor
Must say Barry I enjoy your running commentaries.You share all your thought processes openly on the forum - a true rarity ! Some advice if you will - I'm no Gold bug (or Bull)but I'm thinkinof buying some GLD (Physical Bullion ) fund,as a hedge in these uncertain times . What's your view ?
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Barry what your views on Gold? I read an article by a hedge fund manager and he reckons run is over and back to $600. But with increasing inflation, financial crisis etc in the US Gold must be an option as it is a natural hedge against this - but it is alot more complicated than that. The dollar plays a big role in global trading - i think it is really hard to trade unless you understand all the fundamentals and mechanics around what drives the gold price - long term a good option in your portfolio?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Thanks Striker,Shaun Sidall for those comments....First my watchlist started on 15 Dec 2006 gives; ANG -32%,GFI -38% and HAR -32%...In the shorter term from my watchlist started on 28 JAN 2008 gives:GFI-36%,HAR-24%,ANG-33%,SIM-25% and DRD-46%. ...The ETF NEWGOLD(GLD) only minus 9.5%.....gold is part of the human physce almost since we first formed ourselves into organised villagers....it has come a long way with us and cannot be dismissed,although some in the past have tried to wean us from this ,what they called acient relic.Remember "paper gold" of the IMF!....Its used in personal adornments and a store of wealth.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Yes IMO i think the ETF GLD is the best way to go....In fact it is quite striking that the platinum price has almost halved ,whilst the gold price has only come down by a third....True only the major mines will ever pay dividends,but when the next gold rush takes place the small caps easily outperform the large cap as a bubble forms.The small cap are LONG on promises and SHORT on delivery,but since i've been trading i've seem them at least three times in the past quadruple their prices in a very short time....i dont expect a run on gold soon unless a war breaks out,or back to the cold war situation....something that was very much nearer than most people realised when the US interfeared in Georgia ,hoping to keep one of their major supply pipelines out of the Russian area....Georgia would never have attacked that area without an ally giving its blessing!
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Going back a touch further - I added Newgold to my watchlist in 05 and up 90% from 3220 to 2924 gain 90.8 %. I didnt buy though.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
That Georgia conflict is a powderkeg. Could potentially explode at any moment,bringing NATO and Russia to blows.
0 Kudos