Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Gappers

Pam_1
Regular Contributor
Is today's gap going to close or will the US sentiment brainwash the pro's enough for it to stick? Chartist?
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
JDT
Regular Contributor
IMO, based on history it has a 50% chance to close - i'm not putting money on it closing today.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
i dunno anything bout gaps,Chartist ie the expert there,but i see the futures are up on the Dow,Nasdaq,S&P this morning,really i think they over reacted in the form of panic selling,silly traders expecting Bernanke to save them.After all their interest rates are already very low and faster cuts can then lead to a quick rebound in having to raise rates,then really causing a depression!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
we're seeign some buyers arriving, but it may just be the shorts closing ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Some stocks will obviously take a pounding today but I have some long positions in MTN, GRF and ACL. Amazing how well these stocks are doing defensively in a falling market. I guess we simply have to put our money with shares in our own economy. It seems as though dual listed shares are always the hardest hit when there is global turmoil. Unfortunately for those long on the TOPI or ALSI futures AGL and BIL have a large weighting, they are the gap creators.
0 Kudos
JDT
Regular Contributor
FTSE on a steady up, and we're following... ALSI up 100 points in the last 30 min
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Nah Simon the clever Shorts closed out this morning already....the longs who k@ked in the pants are busy rebuying....remember fear is greater than greed....the greedy have what they wanted....the fearful are now running risk of getting left behind/caught on the wrong side of the trade.....or worse losing their job...cause their portfolio is in a mess...thats the best kind of long play
0 Kudos
Big_Bucks
Super Contributor
Looks like you all attended the school of denial. Our economy and that of the US is/has peeked..reached the top floor and now there is only one direction left.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
BB, then how come we're seeing so many local large caps growing earnings by 20%, 30%, 40%, 50% ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
With all due respect BB, there's also a school of 'If I say it long enough I will eventually be right'. It's easy to keep on screaming BEARS! and eventually you will be right. However, if you're a trader (which I seem to think you are) and you're simply waiting for the bear market, aren't you missing all the 'bull day' opportunities leading up to it?
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
Have made more money in your so called bear market over the last 3 months than the rest of the year. so come on BEARS bring it on.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
what are the facts as we have them.....40% plus rally year on year for the past few years....so who is in denial....as sure as night follows day we will be entering a bear market at some time in the future...we just dont know when.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
THE noise we hear are from day traders or geared traders who like me will take a quick buck where we can get it fundementaly all business in the economy are doing well with returns in line with their expectation , no big top 40 companies showing losses but you hear " profit margins unsteady" but business as a whole is good we are now entering the reason for trading as all the books suggests we wanna be like michael douglas in wall street . that takes tenacity as well as vision RELAX THE TRADES WILL COME TO YOU"
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
gap closed !
0 Kudos
Not applicable
see what I mean about the TRIN
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Yes Siree!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon seems you are becoming a believer....?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
chartist, I have no issue with the gap concept. It's managing the risk re entry and stop. Albeit all moot as I do not day trade so haven't really studied it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja quite right....the vid I did gives a very easily executable strategy...have you ever day traded?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, did it for a few years around the bear market. Went well but at the end of the day it was still time consuming so I moved to longer trades and hence more free time. I now spend less then 5 minutes a day in total on my trading. Way better.
0 Kudos