Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Greece

barry_1
Super Contributor
Greece is likely to exit the Euro within days.Merkel thinks this might have a domino effect upon other weak members.Bad News for bulls i am afraid.
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
says who ?? Greece can't leave .. If they exit they revert back to their old currency which will totally collpase, but their debt would remain in Euro leaving them significantly worse off needing to default, but from a much weaker position .. Their banks would collapse as money was withdrawn from everywhere .. etc. The EU may not be working as planned, but an exit for a country such as Greece would be way way worse than what they face right now ..
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
See Forex Factory news today
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip, it all over my twitter feed .. I just don't buy it ..
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
perhaps preparing us for the worst?
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Creating a bearish vibe (chilly)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the worst is that Greece will default .. in truth they already have, debt roll over is frankly already default as you did not pay what you promised when you promised to pay ..
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
yes,u r perfectly correct about that
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think it could be possible? A default is a default. If they exit the Euro, so what? Argentina was able to stop pegging their currency to the dollar - defaulted on their loans, and still managed to keep their currency at an average of 3 to the dollar. Sucked for the pensioners, and deposit holders - who saw their life savings wiped out, but the economy pulled through OK in the end.
0 Kudos
leminus2
Regular Contributor
So will the GAP close downwards? The rally is not really supported by anything. Or am I missing something?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
rally is supported by buyers .. wait an see on the gap ..
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Merkel doesn't think that and certainly wouldn't say that!! If Greece were to depart then there will be others. Conclusion - Rubbish.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Germany now scrambling to protect their banks ,in case of default as they are heavily exposed....the better option would be to dismantle the Euro and let weaker members print their way out as not one state will be able to ever repay their debt
0 Kudos
Not applicable
About that imminent waterfall....strike the Pose.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Greece default is not so much a risk as it is an inevitability. So I really can't see why markets would be spooked now all of a sudden. So what is really spooking the markets? Perhaps a fear of a Eurozone collapse because policy makers can't agree on how to write off the PIGS debt?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The International Bankers are pulling the plug on their System.They want Chaos.They will get it.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
A group of "inspectors" from the Euro union is about to decend on Greece.their main task is to make the right noises as to Greece complying with lenders demands and so put jittery investors at ease.So that the first tranche of the second loan that will eventually double the loan can be made.this will stabilise things for the next three months.Every one of course hopes that the problem will just vanish,an unlikely out come.So we are likely to be in for a relief rally and the Rand is likely to gain some against the Dollar as it is vastly oversold.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
not before the end of the month, I hope, because my dollar paycheck hasn't cleared yet
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
2 Points: (A) Good for Greece. (B) This too will pass.
0 Kudos