Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Im feeling a litttle bit of a sqeeze coming on.

john_1
Super Contributor
My brain is saying go short my indicators are saying go long.
0 Kudos
34 REPLIES 34
john_1
Super Contributor
now my indictors are agreeing wiyh my brain...thats never a good sign.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
John. What is your trading time-frame.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Completed 2 nice scalps today; one long now just did short one.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I am watching the 5 minutes charts but my system follows price not time.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
You seem to have been going long for days.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Picky
Regular Contributor
Nice one John, came in late and aimless, followed your..call, thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John...this is a nonsensical statement if ever I heard one...all charts are a product of 2 functions....time and price...even tick charts which have no fixed time frame still indicate distinct periods in the market albeit of varying lengths of time....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
That is stating the obvious. What everybody else knows is that My tradeing triggers come from from price points only, so I could be watching a live daily chart if I wanted to. The detail of the 5 minute chart just allows for more development of TA Ideas and experience.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John price points are still reflected on charts within a time period....surely you dont just act as the price is struck??? ....one waits for a 5 min close above or below or a daily close above or below or whatever not so?....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
on that point the importance of time periods within larger time periods are of utmost importance as you always want to go from bigger picture to smaller picture......this allows you to be trading the path of least resistance....so to day you just trade the price means you cannot pay any attention to this?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
No Chartist that is exactly what I do. I literally trade the price.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John...so are you telling me that when you are looking at a swing trade of maybe a few days or weeks you don't look for a daily close?....would you then just trade when an intraday price is hit?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I am talking alsi only and yes, I trade the price only it is the only thing that has no lag. It is how I have built my system. The market is made up of individuals and as you know it only takes one idiot to mess things up so I take that into account.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John ....its not just the one idiot I am worried about....its all the other idiots who rush in (or out) and don't wait for confirmation of a move....one or even a few trades of a price is never enough confirmation of a price....usually I need to see a level exceeded and then tested....why do you think those long tails on tick charts are so often areas in which the market turns?....you are forgetting the important principle....the fact that the market is a very efficient mechanism for moving wealth from the impatient to the patient....I dont car what you say ....unless you come from the Roffey school of trading where time seems to be irrelevant you cannot "just trade the price"....you have to have to trade the price within a time period or number of ticks or something....I think you might taken the notion of "just trading the price) which Simon and I always harp on a little too literally. What we mean by this is that you ignore all other non TA info ....
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Ya. Cos I was trying to establish if you're a day trader in my defenition, being someone who might be long in the am, short midday, and long again by the close - like Picky as eg. You seem to trade the main trend, and not necessarily the riskier waves between the trends, bar the occasional gap play.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja Saash...I often go long and short in one day....the bigger picture is more important when it comes to deciding position size....so what I usually do is look for my 5 contact trade (which is usually in the direction of the longer term trend - maybe an hour) and a few scalp trades of 1 or two contacts (which all add up)....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Looks like I have hit a nerve. Chartist, I know how often the futures market turns on a tail, but don't worry about a thing. I am taking about my trading system. I is an active lazy system and as such does not catch every move but it does make consistant good profit. As long as it is doing that I don't care what the market is doing. all I have to do to make a very good living is add more contracts.
0 Kudos