Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Impact of Vodacom on MTN Share prices

ZPrinsloo
Occasional Contributor
Hey everyone, I'm new to share trading so please be patient if I ask stupid questions (Will try not to). What are your thoughts on the impact that Vodacom will have on the MTN share prices?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
DEP
Super Contributor
Don't worry, there is no stupid Q? I don't think VOD listing will affect MTN share price.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I think it is a good Q .. before investors had no coice, now they do .. bottom line if anything some MTN investors will move some/all off thwere holding into VOD .. how many move how much will decide any price effect ..
0 Kudos
bob1_1
Contributor
Will the telkom shareholders change to VOD. & since telkom hold no value in its own share what would it trade at.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
... why will TKG hold no value post VOD?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, if they dig up all the copper they've got lying in the ground .. decent value there on the s***** market ..
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Simon, that is a cheap reply coming from you!
0 Kudos
djw
Regular Contributor
When is VOD actually going to list?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
huh .. but tis what I think .. they offer little value without a wireless option (which VOD was not as they had no control and plenty restrictions) .. wireless is the future and without tkg is going nowhere slowly ..
0 Kudos
Marno_1
Regular Contributor
Do not underestimate Telkom. Telkom still have huge contracts with corporate customers like BHP, Absa, Edgars.. Although copper is not the ideal method of providing service he still own most of the underground and overhead fibre network. We will have to wait for the results but what I could gather is that TKG is still doing very well with data. Then Telkom still provide the 2 meg capacity to MTN, Vodacom and Cell C. Telkom shares will still be worth around R37 - R40 and with current operations in other Africa states will show a huge growth potential. Remember Vodacom was the Handicap for Telkom all the years. Telkom wanted to go wireless mobile a long time ago but Vodacom/ICASA did not want to allow it. Now that Vodacom parted from Telkom the wheels can start to turn again. Telkom currently also own a pay Television licence but seems as if he will sell it for cash after changing his long term strategies.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
any information as yet on the opening value of the vodacom shares?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
except they are now way behind on the wireless bus .. an as for te pay TV, well they shut Telkom Media so no income there .. yes lots of contracts, most signed in the days before comptition .. tis going to be very tough for them ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Record date to participate in the Friday, 29 May 2009 Special Dividend What does that mean?? that you have to hold till that day??I am looking at telkom for this deal,waiting for it to come down abit before I go in,but am a little confused..According to my understanding,You purchase 1 TKG share,you get 1 VOD share as well as 19rand cash dividend..How much will TKG trade after this?? 60/70rands?? I heard on summit that VOD is about half the value of MTN,so that would price it at around 50rand..to score 20% on this deal,TKG will need to trade at +-50/60rands provided VOD trades at 50rands..noting the reply earlier they price TKG post the unbundling at 30/40rand ...hmmm simon..what u value TKG post VOD??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I also notice that the unbundling takes place before the dividend,so can you sell the VOD share ex unbundling and do you only need to hold the TKG share to qualify for the dividend??
0 Kudos