Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Is DEREK COOPER the culprit?

Not applicable
According to an article written by Barry Sergeant on 28th March Derek Cooper, chairman of Standard Bank amongst others, made the remark to Thabo Mbeki regarding the necessity to shut down the Billiton smelters in South Africa. His remarks were conveyed to Marius Kloppers at one stage in charge of these smelters. The CEO of Billiton promptly decided to severe all ties with Standard Bank. The article is fairly long and not too flattering for Derek Cooper. It must have been embarassing for Jack Maree to have to confront his chairman with the facts and it is now clear why Standard Bank did not want to disclose the name of the culprit.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable
The article was published in MINEWEB!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The article was published in MINEWEB!
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
nothing against youth generally,but at 29 years old,put under great pressure to perform,might not be as diplomatic as a more experienced older guy. Part blame must go to the directors who did the appointment.Mr Cooper is a chartered accountant.Cooper now where have i heard of that name before doing something big.Ah yes did not some time ago jump out of an aeroplane with a million bucks ,over Colorado and was never heard of again?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Where do you find that Derek Cooper is only 29? Ithink that he is in his 60.
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
I would not believe anything BS says - his initials stands for what he writes bull *****...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Read todays article in THE STAR. This confirms.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Sorry Patrik,i read the report very early this morning.It said that this event happened on the 29th,NOT that he was 29 years old!I apologise to all,my mistake.
0 Kudos