Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Is it time to sell?

Buhle
New Contributor
I have been holding to this share for the past year or so, thinking I could recover my losses? Should I just sell and stomach a 40% loss?
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Not applicable
depends on how much money your talking about-if you have 1% of your money exposed to sim- double up and give it time
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
40% is still O K - I am ashamed at my %
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
It was always "time to sell" SIMMERS
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Remember your loss is more than 40% because badly performing companies dont pay or should not pay dividends so you earned no interest on the initial capital and the 60% remaining capital. End of tax year in sight, so maybe work out what your profit for the year is and offset the loss on this share so that the taxman will cover 40% of your 40% loss making your after tax loss only 24%.I think Warren Buffet made the taxman share a lot of his losses this way if ever he sold!
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
You REALLY would NOT like to know and I would not like to tell :-)
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
At this time with 89c per share and the proposed VIL exchange rate set at 105c - is it a time to buy? What relevance does the VIL share price hold, it having gone up?
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
For my money, this is investment grade material at a discount, Bernard Swanepoel at the helm - all aboard. http://tinyurl.com/6fkeyj5
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
I wish to know why VIL has gone up - is there expectations that the SIM reverse acquisition will enhance underlying value and then after the deal is settled take profit?
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Price action reflects speculative expectations. We will see how leaky the bucket is on 24th?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
what was you rexit startegy when you bought ?? stick to it ..
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
40% drop in price and still in! There was no exit strategy I think. Just wishful thinking all along. Hope you made some profit this year to offset your taxes with this share when you sell at a 80% loss!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm buying, if you are selling :) Kick (http://saequities.blogspot.com/)
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Today a renewed cautionary - Simmers shareholders and Village shareholders are advised that workstreams in relation to the Potential Transaction are continuing...WTF is a "workstream"?
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
:-D These are all the processes involving the bankers, attorneys, accountants, managerial employees, brokers, printers - everybody who benefit financially from consultation on this huge exercise.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Aha! - perhaps otherwise known as arm-wrestling?
0 Kudos
Dutch
Frequent Contributor
Not a good deal for SIM shareholders per http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw/en/page292523?oid=520946&sn=2009 Detail VIL getting a real bargain and SIM shareholders take a hit (again)
0 Kudos
RisseN
Contributor
Perhaps im wrong or misunderstanding your comment,...but why would he have to 'have made some profit this year to offset an 80% loss'? If he is taxed as capital gains or trading (income), it is only taxed on the profit, so if he made no profit there is no tax? Doesn't matter what the other shares in his portfolio have done,...if his overall portfolio is down, no tax, if his overall portfolio is up, then he's taxed. Or am I wrong? Your comment makes no sense to me :-/
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Option to reject looks best for SIM holders and for some +ve SIM price action, but even the worst outcome for SIM looks well oversold. VIL now surely a difficult hold. However, rejection would taint Swanepoel further to some. SIM sellers must believe he win the majors.
0 Kudos