Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Main players on the markets

Not applicable
Who are these people that makes the JSE move the way it does. Is it mainly top level brokers who play around with billions that determine our fate? what are the factors that influence share prices. anyone know?
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
surfer
Regular Contributor
I would think that the largest asset manager in SA being old mutual probally can move the market the most with the other large asset managers in Stanlib,AG,Coronation etc.I would think that they would mostly only buy certain shares and mostly in top40 yet the small cap movements probally do come from Small caps UT etc .Overseas players would buy our gold and plat shares but lots do trade ADR's.I would think that retail investors general equity buys and sells dont count for much but with SSF gearing I would think that retail investors could be quite active players in daily turnover. That being said I could be wrong but my question is why do the large asset managers have to trade so much and every day.Why cant they sit on the side for awhile.
0 Kudos