Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

My long term pick...

Werner_1
Super Contributor
me too, i have no problem with the drop, as cash becomes available i add to shares that i think are good, and over time i hope to replicate Buffett's "Snowball" to some degree... lol
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
SK, google BCG Matrix and get a grip on the concept. It changed my life. That is why ADH is not a bad choice in my view.
0 Kudos
Hedgehog
Frequent Contributor
I am sure Lehman Bros was a good company to invest in for the long term at one point int time, ask Barclays. I agree with the sentiment here that 20 years is a very long time. Stick to the rules of TA, it will serve you fine. For example, do not buy now until the rules tell you to. And even then, be cautious - but then you know that already.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Is my assumption true that most of the forumites here are TA followers? like i said, i use TA, but combine it with FA as well to select which long term shares i am interested in. 20 Years is very long, but what i do is review the FA each year the results come out, and if it isnt following my reason for acquiring in the first place i sell and get something else...
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Sorry took so long to reply-I am not a trader so not really attached to the screen watching every move.No it's not the time to sell now-maybe 12 months ago but now is time to accumulate shares.I do or have kept shares for 20 years-I look to get increase in dividend-the increase in price or decrease in price of what the last punter paid or sold is not really of any major importance to me-it may warn me that something is afoot but traders tend to push the price far too high and far to low and the clever ones profit from these extremes-they tend to be in the minority-the clever ones that is.I try to sell when it is too low and sell some when it is too high but 80% of my approach is buy and hold-less money for the broker and less work for me.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Sorry correction I try to buy when its 'too low'.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Holding a share for 20 years seems to be bothering some of the forum.I agree do not blindly hold a share but if nothing is amiss why sell.The 3 shares I have held for close on 20 years are Libert international(originally listed as FIT),standard bank, and spur-at this poinst I see no reason to dump any of them although they are certainly well off their highs-I expect I might keep them for another 20 years but every year I will think about it.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Thats what i agree with, analyse each year, if all is within the reasons of your initial acquisition, why sell... i really believe this is the way to create substantial wealth!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I used to share the long term view, but I don't think we will be seeing these types of almost risk free gains seen over the last 6 years. The next 5 years are going to be characterized by a lot of up and down movement IMO. I think a long term strategy has to be adjusted
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
SBK and SUR continue to serve me well.
0 Kudos