Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

New Habit

sponono
Super Contributor
Mark Douglas says to become a successful trader one must think differently. I think this is a new habit that most of us have to learn. One of the components of thinking differently is to go against the grain. I am now trying to Hope when others Fear and Fear when others hope. For example I took a short position on DTC despite its high relative strengh have made a small profit. Now instead of Fearing that my small profit might disappear I am Hoping it would grow bigger. I have also taken a short position on NPN at a historical high and have made a small loss over two days. I am Fearful that the small loss might become big and should close the position should the stock close above R290.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
jack12
Super Contributor
To be simple I would have looked for a trending stock, my choices were AGL, BIL, SOL, SBK and I was long in KIO. I was never fearful because I was trading with the trend. Yesterday my TA signaled an exit for AGL so I closed my position. If you trade with the trend you will mostly be in the same direction as the market.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I agree. buy low sell high. Even in a down market your entry is low and your exit high. If you cannot understand that you should be an investor rather and cost average over many years to max profit.
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
I try to buy high and sell higher to me buying a stock thats reaching its new high or even a 52 week high is a signal often to buy based on some fundamentals.Often such a stock exceeds expectations. But hey thats just me and im no expert so take my comments with a pinch of salt
0 Kudos