Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

New members

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Guys, recently (i mean in the past few weeks/months) i have seen many new names that were not there before, its excellent to see newcomers and i wish you all best of luck in these volatile times. Just could we have an indication of the amount of newcomers? it would be interesting to see, and please let us know what made you decide to start investing/trading now? low prices, or whatever reason? anyway welcome to the forum!
0 Kudos
52 REPLIES 52
Russ
Super Contributor
Could we have a show of hands,please.
0 Kudos
PILOT_ROB
Contributor
I'm new to the forum - have a sucessful business that looks after itself. Now trading to see if I can improve on what asset managers have done for me in the past - so far so good - but do have a very bad trade at present with ACL - but have decided to ride it out (it's a pride thing). Currently trading OML almost daily, as well as SOL. Long term REI and BDM.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
How are those tight-wads at Standard Bank managing to lure new clients. They don't even offer snacks anymore forgodsakes.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
what business are you in
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Pilot Rob, welcome, trading/investing is a lot of fun for me, since i started i only got more interested, one cannot get bored easily... REI is going to be a excellent investment, i'm sure. good luck!
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
Been trading a while, recently started posting on the forum. Mainly because because this is my first bear market and I dont know wtf is happening :)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Im new... still a student studying finance so very interested in trading. Trying to trade a bit myself but low capital means im doing more long term investments dont have the capital to buy and sell frequently. In the red by about 10% at the mo after 3 weeks :-(
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Chin up. You're doing way better than 90% of hedge fund managers.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
hi new as well, doing very well, but i have a lot of experience
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
well done, experience helps lots, lol... were you trading for many years before joining OST forum?
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Can't help myself nnngh... any Janitors, Barbers, Train Drivers or Taxi drivers who are new to the Forum? (This is a historical assessment question. I'm quite serious :-)
0 Kudos
boston
New Contributor
Hi guys, so this thread on new members, s thought it might be a good place to ask the following: Being relativley new to the world of day traders, I often see you talking about trading the gap? Is this the difference between what the ALSI closes at and what it opens at the next day? If so, how do you trade this (STX40?) and secondly, how do you determine, 'forecast' this happening? Thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable
traded seriously before i worked 6 years overseas, now back starting slowly, before i left there was no online trading, this is wonderful, makes it easy and cheap, also no futures when i left, learning futures, made some money on mtn on the short twice this past week, what is important is information for any trader, so you need to spent a lot of time reading and listning and then trust your decision
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am new to this too, trading, that is, since I long time ago lost faith in investment managers when I saw how much they charge vs how well they perform. Started at the beginning of hte year, and am up so far - but mostly because I have been sitting on the sidelines. I am really interested to learn from the older hands how many people do this as their primary source of income?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
exactly, online makes it really easy... i agree on getting as much data as possible it really helps!
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Now that is a sensible thing to say! Know Thy News! I often get pasted here because I moot how important news is, well anyway in FX you're dead meat if you don't have instant access to news. I wouldn't even consider any trade unless I've checked all relevant news and have a clear roadmap of economic data releases. OMO
0 Kudos
alleycat
Contributor
Hi there.Been with OST since April,although doing smallscale trading for past few years.Learning a lot from forum chat,so guys with the know how,please keep the good advise flowing.
0 Kudos