Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Opinion re CFA

Not applicable
does anybody have an opinion re the CFA. If I am more interested in the knowledge than earning the CFA charter, any suggestions... thanks
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
then don't bother ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Currently busy with CFA (wrote level 2 this year). Doing it to expand personal knowledge and to help me manange my own investment portfolio better, although I am not oblivious to the option of a career in financial markets. Depends on how badly you want it. I had pre knowledge on a lot of the subject materials (masters in econometrics and 10 years work experience in a strock broking environment) and I still had to put in excess of 300 hours in to feel remotely comfortable about the subject matter. So if you just want to pass the exams, don't bother. If you want to internalise the course material know what you are in for. Then again, maybe I am just daft and it takes me longer grasp to topics . . .
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
I currently work for an investment bank in London and have worked for an hedge Fund so think I can comment.Tough course to do while working but is the premier qualification to have if want to go onto finance or be an analyst.You need to be sharp to get it as basically need to finish in top 30% of everyone that writes to be sure you passed as there is no set pass mark like 50% but more a set standard for being in top quartile or so.Chinese are making it difficult as they are smart. You will need loads of knuckling down and studying and all the CFA's I work with are your top academic type people. You dont need it to manage own investments as way to detailed and mathematical. Anything els just ask
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for your help guys
0 Kudos