Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Overnight trading

TonyO
Occasional Contributor
Anglo opened much lower this morning than it closed yesterday. I assume there has been trading in foreign markets overnight (and yes, I know how naieve I sound). My problem: I expected a decline and so I put in a stop loss early in the morning to lock in my gains. But it opened so much lower that I lost out, and my expected gain turned into a loss... My question: how do I know what the current price is before the local market opens? If I had that information this morning I would rather have hung in there!
0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
john_1
Super Contributor
TonyO welcome no dumb questions, The market can open at any level, so there is no hard and fast rule. London is the place for the mining stocks generally. So watching were they close in london helps, also AUstralia will also lead the days semtiment as RIO Tinto and BIL trade there. I hope this helps but dont worry it happens
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The other BIG thing to watch is the rand/$ exchange as this has a dirrect bearing on profits and Margins, but you knew that already.
0 Kudos
TonyO
Occasional Contributor
Yes - thank you. Any web site address where I can see what's happening in Australia (only familiar with the local sites, which seem to only have the prices once the local market is open)?
0 Kudos
TonyO
Occasional Contributor
....yes - but I've only started trading very recently. Learning the obvious - this is an acquired (and potentially expensive) art
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I just look at Bloomberg.com delayed but good enough for my time frames. Also the gold counter trade in the US as does Sasol so if gold is your thing check that out as well.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Hey TonyO, above is the web link to the Aus stock exchange. Not much you can do about big gap downs in opening. As john says, I think AGL trade on the FTSE so is trading at virtually the same time as us. Rio Tinto and BIL on the ASX can give some indication but as you saw today, that's usually not much use. It's the problem with the resources - big reward, big pain.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
TonyO
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the help, guys - much appreciated. Any contributions that contain my losses are warmly recieved.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Tony you missed Brazens speach about buy and hold yesterday so prehaps I will just say AGL is one to hold for a life time, sure trade it if you must but leaving it to gather dust is the way to go!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
. . . contributions that contain my losses are also warmly recieved. . . and don't worry about offending me with financial contributions either.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Tony, another great site to check out is www.quote.com - it has 15 minute delayed charts and prices on almost all shares listed on almost all global indices. Example - link to Anglo in the UK (probably best to cut and paste this into your browser): http://new.quote.com/stocks/adv_chart.action?chartUi.studies=BOLL%2820%2C2%29%3BRSI%2814%29%3B&sym=A.... The site takes a bit of getting used to when searching for stocks, and some of the SA charts are sometimes inaccurate, but its generally a good resource.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
TonyO.....go to this link:.. http://X-Files.4shared.com/ ...& download the file....Corrected!Investing-Trading Sites YWNA Doc.......might be of help, chuck out the carp you don't like. Adios
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
TonyO, as much as it may hurt watching a share price go down first thing in the morning, you will do well to wait until after 10, once the market has settled and some volume has come through, also FTSE open by then and generally give us some direction, BEFORE YOU decide what to do. Have noticed in the past that we react with a knee jerk downwards when the FTSE opens at 10 (our time) so even better would be to wait till 10:30 before you decide to sell. I know sometimes this could lead to a bigger loss, BUT you will get a better price more often then it continuing south.
ALSO of importance is that if you continuously hit your stop loss it means you are setting it too close to your entry point. Rather trade in smaller amounts and leave a larger stop loss. If you look at the last 12 months, there are only a few exceptions where stop lossess should have kicked you out of your trade. The rest is just noise, TRY and ignore it!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
TonyO, could you please help me with my trailing stop losses? I keep getting them wrong and then feeling sorry for myself. At the moment I've set my Satrixes and Itrixes at 12%, IMP, MTN and SBK at 15%, and MRF and SPG at 25%. Except for MRF and SPG, the rest all have about 10 to 11% left before triggering. I'm a long term investor and don't want to get stopped out of bull market corrections anymore. Am I on the right track with my stop losses, do you think?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Oops, I meant this for JohnnyCash
0 Kudos
TonyO
Occasional Contributor
Next time I see green arrows on My Portfolio I may consider it - at this point I'm barely scraping together funds for a beer!
0 Kudos
TonyO
Occasional Contributor
Good advice, Johnny - thank you. I have noticed that there are cycles in this; but I've been learning through my own experience (which is very short); so it has been more expensive than it should have been. I haven't crashed out - just invoked way more sells than I should have.
0 Kudos
TonyO
Occasional Contributor
Just as well ... I wouldn't ask me for advice on this for a while :)
0 Kudos