Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Problem with the charts on OST

mr_p_
Contributor
If you look at the price chart of any share, and hold your mouse pointer over today's price, the bar on the chart and the information bar at the top of the chart show the incorrect opening price. The opening price is shown as equal to the closing, or current price. For example the graph of BHP Billiton right now shows an opening price of 14351 and a closing price of 14351. The opening price this morning was 14750. I noticed this a while ago and it seems to be the same for any share, always on the current day, even after trading closes. Anyone else noticed this or have an idea why it is happening? I've taken it up with the helpdesk before, but didn't get very far.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
mr_p_
Contributor
Seriously, am I the only one that looks at these charts...?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think it is because the official JSE price is only released later in the evening..that is the price that goes into the database...therefore todays closing price is taken as the opening price until the official price is uploaded..just an educated guess though..Simon??
0 Kudos
mr_p_
Contributor
Thanks. Sounds reasonable, although pretty frustrating if you are trying to look at candle formations on a daily basis.
0 Kudos
PaulR_1
Occasional Contributor
I believe there is a similar problem om ruliung price on currency futures, but I thought it was just my misunderstanding of how the system works ... or doesn't
0 Kudos