Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

SSF profits gremlin

doomsdayza
Super Contributor
There's a fleeting moment just after market close when my SSF's show a loss position when they are in actual fact in a profit position, only to correct themselves when I check back a bit later. Anyone else find that happens? Is it just a OST site gremlin I need to get used to?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
hey brother check out the dot if it is red china the market is still going like america is riding the wave so after 8 30 or nine you will check a green dot mate this says the latest mark to market price so after 5 close down and do no look till 9pm as you will fall out your chair as it shows bids and offers which are left after closing auction not a nice picture 100s
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
Thanks Rat. Did almost fall off my chair the first time :)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
There's something else I've noticed: Standard Bank and the JSE seem to calculate their mark-to-market values differently. (It looks like expected dividends are handled differently.) So you can't trust the daily profit if (a) the dot is green and you bought the SSF during the day (b) the dot is red and you have been holding the SSF since before today. You can get a better idea of your portfolios performance by adding the underlying shares to your watchlist, and looking at the movement there.
0 Kudos
cfm
Super Contributor
I am only interested in the SSF value when I'm buying or sellings. I only look at what the underlying is doing, because the SSF must follow the underlying.
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
I also rely more on the underlying movement than the SSF price given. Sometimes I wonder if the SSF doesn't always mirror the movement of the underlying as I will be short in a SSF and the underlying share is trending down but my SSF shows a loss.
0 Kudos
Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
the price is time related look at a september future and december future vs underlying when you buy and sell your profit is related to the ssf value not the underlying value when you buy or sell it looks at the underlying to trade the shorter the time the closer the future and the underlying cheers
0 Kudos