Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Saturday 9th Internet via Vodacom modem slow.

Not applicable
It is about 6pm and using a Vodacom modem the Internet has been extremely slow. Is it my particular modem? I would hate to trade this slowly - could lose a lot of money. I have smsed Vodacom explaining that people on a trading platform can lose a lot of money and suggested that people might contact the Minister of Communications about it. I do not think it is always this Standard Bank trading platform that is at fault (as a matter of fact this Standard Bank Securities page loads relatively fast) Is Vodacom being negligent?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
dbm
Frequent Contributor
Unless you have a good reason to be using Vodacom (ie you are not able to get ADSL or somebody else pays) avoid it. Its a very expensive alternative to Telkoms land based ADSL. The most cost effective solution to apply for a Telkom ADSL connection and buy your bandwidth (account) from a third party such as Axxess (R60 per Gig)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well you could and should look at the newer options out there. SAOL has ASDL line plus unlimited internet bandwith for R499 pm, no contracts etc. Problem is line speed is only 384k, but for trading and general browsing this will be overly sufficient. Other providers are offering unlimited bandwith for as little as R399 pm but as they are new they having teething problems. These types of options are bound to keep piling up this year and bandwith is finally becoming reliable and cheeper (note not cheep as yet) as the months progress. So the actual option of having 24/7 internet with no restrictions is finally becoming part of SA life. And to be honest R500 a month is pretty darn good for unlimited internet.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks. Am thinking of Telkom. Originally got Vodacom because it was quick to get going and convenient - just plugged in modem and off I went, but it has drawbacks (cost, speed)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for info. There are more options than I thought. But I need some proof of address for RICA FICA, so will probably get Telkom for a monthly bill to my flat address. Buy everything cash and have had problems with banks losing original info I gave them, etc RICA, FICA is a pain
0 Kudos