Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Security

kr_pto
Super Contributor
Interesting article.
To my mind we are open to this type of risk on OST too, as it relies on trojan horse attack used to gain your credentials. Easy solution is SMS security such as with Internet Banking, but reliability and timing of the SMS's could be a problem.

http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?iSectionId=2885&iArticleId=3813518
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
mwk
Frequent Contributor
It's a security problem particularly when *public* computers are used to access online share trading accounts.
And, speaking of security, I would like to mention that I *appreciate* the OST timeout of 15 minutes (or is it 20 now). Heh, probably am one of the few on the forum to say so. (FWIW I use TradeKing as an online broker to trade USA equities, and like OST, they also have a timeout of 15 minutes.)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
kr!pto, and hence why we are very loath to reduce security on here, in facty we're consistantly looking to beef it up.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
hey for sure, simon. dont get me wrong, i am very much pro security. have been involved in a number of internet banking projects and development, to appreciate the seriousness of the matter. the timeout thing however is primarily to protect one when your desk is unattended, which doesnt matter too much for me since i'm the only one here. as a feature it is good and necessary, i just personally disagree with how it has been implemented here. but enough floggin this poor dead horse. just might get up and kick us in the teeth...
the more serious issues are ones like those covered in the article, on areas that have a financial impact. so as far as additional security goes, i am fully behind OST's aim to constantly improve. by all means, bring it on!
0 Kudos