Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Sell in May and go away?

saash
Super Contributor
I thought it was unfounded rumour ....
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
platsak
Super Contributor
I had the same thought the other day. Its strange how old sayings tend to get value with experience.
0 Kudos
org
Super Contributor
Depends if the market is already high in May.This time it was.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it is still twaddle.
0 Kudos
ketman
Not applicable
Really? Check out the article by Bouman and Jacobsen on the "Halloween Indicator" downloadable from http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=76248. They find that "stock market returns should be higher in the November-April period than those in the May-October period. Surprisingly, we find this inherited wisdom to be true in 36 of the 37 developed and emerging markets studied in our sample. The 'Sell in May' effect tends to be particularly strong in European countries and is robust over time. Sample evidence, for instance, shows that in the UK the effect has been noticeable since 1694."
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Y-man posted an article a while back showing historic monthly returns for the JSE worst month was June with 0.3% return best month was Dec and Jan. May is an average month.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
then why aren't they sailing around the med in their million foot yatch? Yes we can go back in time and back fit all sorts. Question is - how does it make us money? It doesn't. This sell in May, when did you sell? if 30 April, you missed the high by some 3 weeks and are poorer for it.

it is twaddle.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Maybe more so than not since 1694, but having been in the markets since well before then I feel obliged to point out the anomalies caused by events like Austerlitz & Waterloo. Recent conflicts have had a more muted contra-seasonality.
0 Kudos
BRE
Regular Contributor
Ja, absolute twaddle! You don't sell period; you're stop losses should take care of that, not the calendar.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
I think that this should be rephrased: A SPECULATOR should sell in May and go away, an INVESTOR should care less about this and just continue on with their current investment strategy. From a wise long term investor
0 Kudos