Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

So GFI

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
to split it's local and international assets (albeit keeping South Deep in international) .. I been saying that for ages, next will be HAR and ANG ..
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
kwagga
Super Contributor
Local is a sinking ship.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja, but I don't know if it makes a huge amount of sense. It means that their international and local SA assets can get evaluated separately, which is good for shareholders, but if the balance sheet is now split - how do you raise the kind of capital you need for new projects? Personally, I think it is an over-reaction to the Marikana issue (and hey, I am not downplaying Marikana!)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
fair shout, but well GFI rating currently at junk, this move will enable GFI international to get credit rating that will enable borrowing .. local is toast ..
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
The market likes it.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
that is actually a very good point Simon. Cost of borrowing will definately be cheaper than SA.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip, an then when those Sibanye shares hit the market they going to get sold off to nothing me thinks ..
0 Kudos
phd
Contributor
There won't be any new projects in SA. Period. And this applies even more firmly to Anglo.... none, nada, v...k..ol. It's all over.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
...and very, very quickly.
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
ja but who going to lend them money despite the international division getting a good credit rating, Europe is also toast and USA is burned toast...south africa, well the bread is already black(or brown), so a bit of toasting does not matter much
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Suppose it will then make nationalising them so much easier - won't have the European and US govt's shouting about theft.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
transaction does not require shareholder approval...listing of Sibanye gold in Feb 2013...SENS
0 Kudos
keng
Contributor
Why do I have the feeling that Sibanye will not be issuing dividends in order to recoup capital costs asap and then dump and run. Maybe I'm a pessimist.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Phew!! The negativity that surrounds this post! Those 2 mines produce more than 45% of GFI's cashflows. They need little additional capital near to medium term and can be self funding, have good reserves and ore bodies that are well understood. These mines can continue for some time before requiring further development. Whatsmore, they have appointed a good operator, Neal Froneman, to be in charge. Not my favourite but, he gets things done. To me, there is less risk to Sibanye then Pan Af which trades ona PE of 8. If this the case then a rough calc tells me that Sibanye, with less risk should be on a PE of 10 and the share should be worth between R30 to R45 imo. If anybody has calcualted different numbers, I will be glad to know.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure 45% of current cash flows, but future cash flows ?? especially when South Deep comes on stream .. they are leaving the dregs in the local operation ..
0 Kudos
Penny_Pincher
Super Contributor
Amazing how quick the mine bosses are to find a counter strategy for all the drama. Perhaps this was the strategy all along and Marikana simply fast tracked the execution of the strategy. Just shows you ala Cosatu..cut your nose to spite your face.
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Sure, but these assets perform better than both HAR & ANG's local assets. If one is looking for local exposure and depending on the value the market places on these shares, they may just be worth considering.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
and they are bringing in the dregs to manage it - I for one still think the man got off lightly with the hold first uranium debacle
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Nice way to unlock value for shareholders. Think its' worth a punt.
0 Kudos