Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stop Loss Losses

md49
Contributor
Why is it so upsetting when a stop loss kicks in. Is it because we can't even handle losing a small amount of money. or is it because now we are in a quandry as to when to get back in? why!
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
3JN2
Frequent Contributor
Because a stop loss proves that we mis-read the market and are wrong
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
because we measure success or failure by the money .. which is totally wrong as it is the one thing we can't control ..
0 Kudos
md49
Contributor
Simon - I dont understand? How then do you measure a successful trade if not for the money??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
profit or loss is the one thing we have zero control over in a trade .. we need to ignore it and focus (measure) our trading by what we can control .. risk, entry, exit, discipline etc ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Because you're inexperienced. Stop losses becomes as normal as brushing your teeth with experience. It just happens, and tomorrow is another day.
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
I find that if I stick to the 2% rule then the stop loss doesnt hurt that much, however whenever I over-exposed myself they use to hurt like hell.
Learn the 2% rule and the phrase "anything can happen on the markets" and trading will become much easier.
0 Kudos
Crux777
New Contributor
What do you mean 2% rule ? I am new and set mine at 10% trailing and fixed.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos