Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Technical Analysis course, some thoughts for Simon Brown

Preston
Super Contributor
Rams,Parttimer wounded you with that excellent comeback.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Parttimer I think your misunderstanding what Rams is saying. Ive done extensive research on indicators, Ive traded indicators, chart patterns, support and resistance lines. One thing I discovered about all of this: it doesnt matter what indicator you use. A coin flip is as good as a moving average or a stochastics overbought/oversold or a head and shoulders.
Van K Tharpe proved this a while ago as well using a coin flip and a dart board.
Most of them have about a 60-70% chance of being right, the coin flip about 50%.

At the end of the day risk management is all that its about, keeping your losses small.
Indicators are only useful to setup rules for mechanical traders, with my discretionary trades I have removed ALL indicators off my screen and I simply look at candles, 1 or 2 trend lines and then I enter on my gut. Stupid as you might call it, it has been more profitable than any system Ive ever traded and it works for me.

My Point simply being dont rely too much on indicators, they are not the holy grail of trading, it really just comes down to risk & reward (how much you risk on a trade and reward - when to take profit when you were right)
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Forgive part-timer, he is new in this , so he has to find out for himself, so maybe we can resume this when he becomes "fulltimer" ?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Hi Rams, I've just closed our my "short" position on your logic with a massive profit. You completely miss the point. I understand risk management and all that good stuff but you fail to understand that you need to target a profit stop loss as well as a loosing stop loss. How do you determine that prospective share price apart from taking a view on chart patterns??? Thats how you determine risk vs reward before getting into the trade. Good weekend.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
well at least you did not "sell" your short as did your admirer, the other kid on this forum....good luck with the chart patterns and indicators...
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Rams, i officially award you a doctrate degree on AGL.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
no, you cant, you first have to learn how to spell, then learn how to exit a short and then complete your grade OOO at Oprahs school, and if you dont move it fast enuf, your I8 month old will be in the same class as you
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos