Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The calm after the storm...

MichaelG
Occasional Contributor
Afdawn So finally we have some finality Im not sure how many of the readers who commented on my previous post have stayed the course but hopefully some have had the composure. In order to lend a level of credibility to what I'm about to say... Firstly: In my previous post on the 1st of October 2009 I commented regarding Allegro "which in an absolute worst case scenario could only affect earnings and NAV by a maximum of 30%." The day afterwards, on the 2nd of October, an sens announcement was released stating that earnings would be between 27% and 37% lower than reported in the company's audited financial statements for the year ended 28 February 2009. Although different variables were mentioned, the two numbers are relatively well correlated. As a result, the number stated was correct given all available information at the time. The restated financial statements unfortunately rendered this prediction null and void. Secondly: I stated that "Afdawn is in no way exposed to any of Allegro's creditors." The sens announcement today confirmed this. The Moneyweb "Afdawn calls in the cavalry" article will give you the simplified version. "Emslie says that the board has received a legal opinion that claims against Allegro have no recourse to Afdawn. No claim of this nature has been received by Afdawn, the company announced." In fact, The Moneyweb "Theft, fraud and reckless trading at CMM - curators report" describes how it is likely that investors will not only receive their money back, but even receive a little interest. "the curators are still confident that they "may" be able to return investors' capital plus a "fair" interest return of 15.1% for the period March 2005 to September 2009." Now back to the present. Having sorted out (to a large degree) problem 1, the Allegro issues (or at least priced in the worst case scenario), and having written off problem 2, a nice chunk of goodwill resulting in the complete collapse of the share price over the last few months, what are we left with? Problem 3: A major need for financing in order to overt a liquidity crisis Problem 4: The 4.9m shares that went walkabout Problem 5: surety for R10m in favour of the NHFC in respect of certain developments Problem 6: Getting the 5 mil or so in bonuses back from the original directorship Problem 7: The curators "going concern comment" Problems 1 and to 2 were obviously potential ship sinkers, and yet, the company has endured. So, to the lesser problems Problem 3: They say: "The group's major challenge during the next six months will be managing liquidity, and to this end the board has implemented an aggressive collection and recovery programme and limited staff reductions. In addition, the board has embarked on discussions on securing additional funding lines from financial institutions and/or capital from its shareholders to ensure the long-term viability of African Dawn," the company said." I can't really comment on this problem, as the variables here cannot be measured. The success of this venture (at least the funding lines aspect of it) depends on management's ability to source the funds. What I will say however is that if anyone can do it, the current "banker" board could. Problem 4: I have no idea whats happening here, but that goes for all of us. Worst case scenario is not a train smash. Let's wait and see Problem 5: "Nexus Personal Finance ("Nexus") is currently funded by the National Housing Finance Corporation ("NHFC"), and is the subject of a forensic investigation." "The board engaged with the NHFC regarding the repayment of this facility and the restructuring thereof." Problem 6: Hopefully they'll use it to settle some of that NHFC. Either way, problem 5 and 6 involve numbers that couldn't sink a wealthy individual, never mind a publically listed company. Not to say that they should be ignored either, but in the bigger scheme of things.... Problem 7 This is by far the most important problem announced today. As you can imagine my faith in auditor's opinions has recently been shaken but either way, emslie comments: "The board also wishes to draw attention to the Emphasis of Matter regarding the ongoing availability of funding in ensuring that the group remains a going concern. Details of the current action plan to address this issue are covered in the rest of this announcement." (which he then does) So what now? Looking at the latter problems, when measured against the original 2, most can see that while Afdawn is clearly still in trouble, this business, with a NAV Per Share of 55.58c (currently trading at 37c) is not going to close anytime soon. The business is battered, but not as badly as it's share price. The EPS loss was bad, but the HEPS loss wasn't that bad at all. For those of you who don't know the difference, find out, because in this case it is particularly important. The forensic investigation etc can go ahead and we'll learn the findings at some point in the future, probably by discrete articles published by the very same moneyweb reporters who were MISTAKEN about the Allegro exposure mentioned above. Either way, this board is extremely conservative, and any further announcements will likely be either positive (relative to previous announcements) or simply confirmations of previously stated information. so now: "The board does not expect any further significant impairment to the asset base of African Dawn for the next six months." Yesterdays trading statement regarding the EPS and HEPS resulted in no price movement, and today's 7.5% drop was as a result of three or four trades to the value of 20g's or so, then ending in a R68,820 trade 37c (I wouldn't mind shaking his hand, his timing was exceptional, far better than mine) Non-the-less, This business, while still a speculative buy, has clearly been shown to be looking forward. I'm quite confident that the directors will find the money (perhaps from Nedbank if you follow the conspiracy theorists). Perhaps from somewhere else. The worst is clearly behind us, so lets see how things go. One things for sure though. The share is undervalued, even from a purely NAV stand-point. Lets not forget that a large portion of this earnings loss (from the HEPS side) was simply a result of the economic crisis that was experienced over the period (by all listed companies) being reported on, and only a portion to do with the problems mentioned above. The hoo-ha about this company was wrong, or at the very least wrong about what they were attributing the danger too. Now that it's behind Afdawn, it's a turnaround waiting to happen, or at least I think so...
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
topgun
Super Contributor
You are clutching at straws here...trying to rationalise your position. I recall your earlier posts on Moneyweb. The fact is that ADW will need cash to grow after the decimation of its capital base. A rights offer - should a white knight indeed be found - will most probably happen quite a bit below the prevailing marketprice given current market conditions and further dilute the stated NAV. This ship also requires a new captain and crew. Given the uncertainties and risks, this is akin to throwing good money after bad...
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Too much reading so early in the morning :-(
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Seems like the storm is still blowing!
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Michael G I've never seen such a positive spin on so much adversity. hope your financial survival is'nt dependant solely on ADW.
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
The EPS loss was bad, but the HEPS loss wasn't that bad at all. For those of you who don't know the difference, find out, because in this case it is particularly important. ...... Anyone ever wondered why OST reflect yoy changes on the Market overview page by EPS instead of HEPS? It so distorts things!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
True that...but it is important to note the differences as the EPS figure is sometimes the more accurate metric (and less open to manipulation) especially when some part of the business goes walkabout...such as in this case and the NAV partly evaporates. Chasing rainbows...
0 Kudos
MichaelG
Occasional Contributor
What posts on moneyweb?
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
Ya like when TKG unbundled VOD their EPS went up ten fold but their HEPS went backwards (badly) ... or like when NTC sold Ampath their EPS went up 95% but their HEPS went up 34%. Removing one-offs makes more sense when comparing yoy. Surely....
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
When TKG unbundled VOD their EPS and hence NAV couldn't have gone up...The point is that after the destruction of ADW's capital base as captured in the EPS loss, sustainability is now an issue. Any further losses will wipe what's left...they are in desperate need of additional capital.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
Rose tinted glasses for all the remaining die hard ADW fans.
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
You guys are missing my point ... it is not about ADW at all. If however you must know my standpoint on ADW ... I still hold a good cupply ADW at a profit of 72% if it trades at 35c. The other good cupply I sold at R4.40....so why sell? Don't sell too soon ... I recall hearing somewhere... I take my chances ... if it goes to 20c I break even ... if it goes bang - so what!
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
Take my advice, I am at 147 on TG's and Werners list... lol.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
U bought them back in 2005!
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Just take some profit and buy the kids some presents would u! No wonder u 147 on that list
0 Kudos
MichaelG
Occasional Contributor
@ Topgun I remember you now... You certainly have changed your tune since being so neutral in your post on the 6th of October. Wasnt that the same day you stated that there would be an SENS announcement qualifying Afdawns exposure to allegro by the
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
ay, well I have no kids... what 'bout KEH?
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
Pee U? of 68% hmmm.... HEPS or EPS?....
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Poor Michael, your facts and reality certainly seem to disconnect. How can I be neutral and simultaneously be hurt by a share that I am supposed to hate?! Lol..Check my earlier posts..17 Sept - where I specifically advised caution owing to weak financial controls; 2 July - where I highlighted directors selling stock at 159cps - "Read into that what you like"! Earlier, on the 30th of March I posted that "share price behaviour is a concern". The SENS of 14 Oct did announce the new directors but sadly could not quantify the Allegro loss at the time, given the fraud and mismanagement that occurred in your company. I fortunately don't also suffer from ADD and therefore have to ability to follow more than a single share at a time. Your concern is appreciated. Oh, and selling was the right thing to do..long ago. Now, if only you did panic, your loss would have been far smaller. Learn from this experience, analyse where you went wrong and move on. Emotional attachment can be harmful, if not fatal.
0 Kudos