Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The fundamentals of shorting right now

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Yep one contract which I held onto hoping it would turn in my favour.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm still hoping. Just turned before my Stop Loss. Hopefully AGL will have mercy on me...
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
All good things come to those that wait, Rule 5 in trading- Patience. Einstein said what goes up must come down.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well no that wasn't Einstein .. an anyways when refering to the market, is he really right ?? my rule book doesn't mention this ??
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
ya nice post it really shows the think that makes for a good trade. well done.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Maybe he was referring to profits? What goes up - must come down...
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Thinks are doing hunky dory, Einstein also taught that when it is aa pear falling, use hedge funds to cover the shorts
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Good points that I learned from, but I'm ok with the short view. VIX, metal prices and the strong rand are all symptoms that people think the risk is down. It just confirms that everyone that green shoots are in, which isn't a surprise. I think that perception is very brittle. I'm keeping my bear outfit :)

Note that I don't do automatic stops with the types of trades I have. I'm trading within relatively safe cash limits so my bet isn't "must go down within a week", it's that it'll be lower than my short portfolio within a few months. The obvious issue is holding costs. That's still cheaper than going in/out each time the market blinks.

It removes the weekly/daily volatility worry, and lets me move the risk to where I feel comfortable, while reducing in/out trading costs, or the risk that a 1-share trade kicks in a stop-loss. The opposite of "picking up pennies in front of a steamroller".

Having said this - it's not a standard method so I'm having to think it up myself and it'll send some traders into a fit.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LOL - picking up pennies in front of a steamroller - that is hte best analogy I have heard!!
0 Kudos