Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trading on the NYSE and NASDAQ?

DEP
Super Contributor
What is the best way to trade NYSE and NASDAQ shares? I have traded Euro shares via BES bank account there, however it only allows me to trade Dow 30 or Nasdaq 100 components. I need to trade others, thanks.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Werner_1
Super Contributor
You can open an account in USA, TD Ameritrade is very good. Get SARS clearance and you can transfer cash easily...
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Thanks Werner. Do you trade with them? Are they safe and reliable?
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
DEP, sorry, i commented but lost connection... Yes i have an account at them, very good service, stable company. transferring money to them is no problem and trade execution is excellent, flat brokerag of $9.99... i would recommend them...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
There is many very interesting companies to invest in on those markets which are not on the JSE. e.g. I made 12% in one day (Thrus) on what i call a very safe company - Research in Motion - others might not agree with me, but their business is expanding at a pace which is unbelievable. excellent devices - BlackBerry.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Thanks Werner. Have opened the account today. I just need tax clearance and then request my bank to make the transfer and post all required doc., right? How long does SARS take?
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Selling offshore unit trusts and placing the proceeds in a more active account - US trading account. My OST stays the same.
0 Kudos
macker753
Occasional Contributor
Is there a monthly fee on TD Ameritrade? Can't seem to see it on the website!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
DEP, i normally sent a fax to SARS then waited about 5 days before calling to confirm that its available and driving to the office to pick it up. they work quite well, just fetching it is a hassle for me as i live in Somerset West and need to go to CPT or Bellville for collection, they dont sent it, it needs to be picked up personally.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
DEP, i normally sent a fax to SARS then waited about 5 days before calling to confirm that its available and driving to the office to pick it up. they work quite well, just fetching it is a hassle for me as i live in Somerset West and need to go to CPT or Bellville for collection, they dont sent it, it needs to be picked up personally.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
DEP, i normally sent a fax to SARS then waited about 5 days before calling to confirm that its available and driving to the office to pick it up. they work quite well, just fetching it is a hassle for me as i live in Somerset West and need to go to CPT or Bellville for collection, they dont send it, it needs to be picked up personally.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
mac, no they dont charge monthly's only brokerage when trading at $9.99 per trade. and you get numerous research reports, S&P being my favourate which is very informative. excellent service!
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Thanks Werner. And transferring the money, is that done by my local bank?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Yes, i went to the forex desk at my local SBK for them to transfer, takes 2 days to reflect in US account but they SBK guys know what they doing. just make sure you have a SWIFT code and all details to save time.
0 Kudos